Re: [mythsoc] Interesting item in an article in _The Washington Post_

  • LSolarion@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 31, 2000
      In a message dated 07/29/2000 8:06:14 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:

      << I've been reading and collecting Lewis for over twenty-five years and I've
      never seen that issue of _Time_ (from August 8, 1947). I checked on E-bay
      and abebooks.com and they don't have any copies. Have any of you seen that
      issue? >>

      In one of my many books about Lewis -- a biography, I think; I'll have to
      look it up tomorrow -- a picture of the cover is reproduced. They wouldn't
      need the actual issue, all they'd have to do was enlarge the illustration
      from the book.

      Steve
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 31, 2000
        I don't think that would work. First, it wouldn't reproduce well. Second,
        it wouldn't be very interesting. I can't imagine anyone thinking that a
        reproduction of the cover would be an important addition to their collection.

        I've just E-mailed the magazine collectors' service mentioned in Stephen's
        post and asked them how much the magazine with the Lewis cover would cost.
        The website says prices start at $17, but some highly desired issues may cost
        more.

        Wendell
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
          The magazine collectors' service tells me that the C. S. Lewis cover issue of
          _Time_ is sold out.

          Wendell Wagner
        • Trudy Shaw
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
            Of course, GWB probably didn't say to an assistant, "Find me a copy of the
            August 8, 1947, TIME." More likely, it was closer to, "Find me something
            old and kind of impressive with a picture of C.S. Lewis." That would change
            the odds quite a bit.

            -- Trudy Shaw

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
              My supposition was that Bush said to George Wead (the aide who was mentioned
              in the news story and who was apparently at the meeting), "What can we get
              this guy so that he will remember our meeting?" Wead says, "Well, I was
              taking notes, and he did mention C. S. Lewis . . ." Come to think of it,
              perhaps the guy even mentioned that he was looking for the C. S. Lewis cover.

              Wendell
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
                I looked up the article again today while at the library.

                It IS September 8, 1947, NOT August.

                The Artzybasheff painting is really charming. It is in full color, with a
                large grey devil of rather comical cast, a la gargoyle, at the right (Lewis'
                left) and only part of a more colorful angel (halo, wing, shoulder) showing
                on the other side. CSL himself looks right-down handsome (but recognizable),
                and has brown hair, sparkling warm brown eyes, and a brown or perhaps tweed
                jacket. Coincidentally, the lettercol of the week leads off with high praise
                for another Artzybasheff cover. I wonder where A's originals went...

                The article itself is long and thorough and quite good, with only one obvious
                error which is repeated in a subtitle: referring to a resurrected Lord who
                ate "boiled fish." Gag! =Broiled=, please. (Luke 24:42) The error is not
                Lewis', I am sure.
                And only one TIME-ism that I noted. The magazine was known back then for its
                "snappy" word coinages (most of them pretty ghastly) and in this article it
                says that Lewis "has given up radiorating." (radio - orating, blech)

                Illustrations include "God," by Wm Blake; "Screwtape," by Lewis; and
                portraits of major influences MacDonald and Williams.

                There's an interesting little paragraph about the household w/ Mrs Moore
                which keeps things very sketchy except to say that intimates know she is not
                really his "mother."

                A small b&w version of the cover is at <A
                HREF="http://geocities.yahoo.com/toto?s=76000019">http://geocities.yahoo.com/t
                oto?s=76000019</A> but in no way does it justice.

                Here's the article: <A
                HREF="http://www.apologetics.org/articles/cslewis.html">Apologetics: C. S.
                Lewis in Time Magazine</A> I wish I knew who wrote it.

                And here's a piece on Artzybasheff, but alas, w/o the Lewis painting: <A
                HREF="http://www.bpib.com/artzybas.htm">Boris Artzybasheff Biography</A>

                Mary S
              • Ted Sherman
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
                  I've seen the Time cover in question and, in fact, have photocopied it (though i
                  don't know where the copy is).

                  Ted

                  PS: Try a large university library that has bound copies of Time.

                  WendellWag@... wrote:

                  > There's an article in _The Washington Post_ (July 24th, page A7) about George
                  > W. Bush's (and his campaign advisors') attempts to speak to the evangelical
                  > communty. He was introduced by one aide, George Wead, to many evangelic
                  > leaders. He made attempts to stay in touch with some of them and, among
                  > other things, "he dug up an old Time magazine cover of author C. S. Lewis,
                  > the evangelicals' leterary favorite, to send to a Wheaton College professor
                  > he had met with."
                  >
                  > DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL ARGUMENT.
                  > DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL ARGUMENT.
                  > DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL ARGUMENT.
                  >
                  > My question is "How difficult would this be?"
                  >
                  > I've been reading and collecting Lewis for over twenty-five years and I've
                  > never seen that issue of _Time_ (from August 8, 1947). I checked on E-bay
                  > and abebooks.com and they don't have any copies. Have any of you seen that
                  > issue? Do any of you own it? Is there any way that someone could obtain it
                  > (particularly someone who had not previously been a Lewis collector) except
                  > by paying a dealer for a extensive (and expensive) search.
                  >
                  > Wendell Wagner

                  Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
                  Mythopoeic Literature
                  Box X041, Department of English
                  Middle Tennessee State University
                  Murfreesboro, TN 37132
                  615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
                  tsherman@...
                  tedsherman@...
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
                    O.K., once again: I've seen the cover in pictures in books. I have no
                    interest in seeing it again. I can read the article if I want online. I'll
                    do that eventually, but I'm not in a hurry. I didn't want to find the
                    magazine myself. I just wanted to know, if someone wanted to give someone
                    else a copy of the magazine, how hard it would be to find a copy. Could one
                    just "dig up" a copy, or would it take an extensive and expensive search?

                    Wendell
                  • David S. Bratman
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 2, 2000
                      On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 Stolzi@... wrote:

                      > And only one TIME-ism that I noted. The magazine was known back then for its
                      > "snappy" word coinages (most of them pretty ghastly) and in this article it
                      > says that Lewis "has given up radiorating." (radio - orating, blech)

                      For some reason I read "radiorating" as a variant of "rotating", and
                      imagine Lewis spinning in place. No wonder he gave it up.

                      Time-ese was, thank goodness, already dying out by 1947. It was a bizarre
                      dialect, vaguely based on the abbreviated language called "telegraphese"
                      which journalists used to master to save on by-the-word charges when
                      sending dispatches by telegram back to the office. Some newspapers and
                      magazines would print the dispatches that way, and the style became
                      associated with "snappy" journalism. Time - founded in 1923, the height
                      of the "Front Page" era - then took it up deliberately, even when it
                      wasn't economically necessary.

                      Time-ese had a peculiar grammar as well as an abbreviated vocabulary. My
                      favorite example comes from an article about Time which The New Yorker
                      published in the mid-30s: the content was utterly straight, but the
                      article was written _in_ a parody of Time-ese. This was their
                      description of Time-ese itself: "Backward ran sentences until reeled the
                      mind."

                      This type of writing, and its companion of sloppy thinking, probably
                      contributed more to Lewis's dislike of journalism than the personal
                      intrusiveness which is more characteristic of journalism today than it was
                      then. (There were other factors as well, of course.) I do not recall
                      reading anything about why Lewis consented to be profiled by Time, or his
                      reaction to the result: though words like "radiorator" would make the
                      lowliest English teacher's teeth ache, let alone Lewis's.

                      But I am fond of Tolkien's comment on the occasion of a newspaper
                      columnist calling CSL "Ascetic Mr. Lewis." Tolkien said "I ask you! He
                      put away three pints in a very short session we had this morning, and said
                      he was 'going short for Lent.'" (Tolkien's Letters, no. 56)

                      David Bratman
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
                        Here's the letter I've just sent to The Washington Post:

                        To the editors:

                        In an article on page A7 of the July 24, 2000 issue, you write that as a
                        memento of a meeting, George W. Bush "dug up" and sent to a Wheaton College
                        professor a copy of a Time magazine cover showing C. S. Lewis. My first
                        reaction was that it's impossible to just casually dig up this issue (which
                        is from September 8, 1947). In over twenty-five years of reading and
                        casually collecting Lewis's works, I've never seen a copy of it. It's not
                        that the issue is really rare. Lots of libraries have complete sets of Time
                        magazine, but I'll assume that Bush didn't steal the copy from a library.
                        It's not the sort of thing that can be found by casually searching used
                        bookstores though, and I assumed that it would take paying a dealer to do an
                        extensive (and rather expensive) search if one wanted a copy.

                        I asked people on an E-mail mailing list I belong to just how hard it would
                        be to find this issue. To my surprise, one person was able to suggest a
                        fairly simple way to obtain a copy. He did a search on the Internet on
                        dealers of used Time magazines. He found quite a few of them and E-mailed
                        them all asking if they had the issue. Several of them did, and he was able
                        to buy a copy for only four dollars. So I conclude that it's not that
                        difficult to obtain the issue with the C. S. Lewis cover now that we have the
                        Internet. But then, we have Al Gore to thank for that, right?

                        Sincerely,
                        Wendell Wagner, Jr.

                        Anyway, I won't be leaving till the 13th, but for those who are leaving this
                        week, have a nice trip and I'll see you at Mythcon.
                      • Ted Sherman
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
                          Uh, Wendell, what's the point?

                          Ted

                          PS: I won't be at MythCon this year--don't want to get too near the Cracks of
                          Doom!

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
                            tedsherman@... writes:

                            << Uh, Wendell, what's the point? >>