RE: [mythsoc] Tolkien and Oriental Calligraphy

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 8, 2009
      Janet wrote:

      >Actually, Tolkien's monogram reminds me very distantly of the signature
      >symbols used by Aubrey Beardsley
      ><http://www.wormfood.com/savoy/salome/154.html>http://www.wormfood.com/savoy/salome/154.html
      >(I know there are more examples but that's the best I found in a quick
      >search online) and James Whistler
      ><http://www.mr-whistlers-art.info/art/design/exhibitions/signature.shtml>http://www.mr-whistlers-art.info/art/design/exhibitions/signature.shtml
      >- perhaps the influence was indirectly Oriental through these and similar
      >artists? Or perhaps it went back to Albrecht Durer
      ><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AlbrechtD%C3%BCrer01.jpg>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AlbrechtD%C3%BCrer01.jpg
      >? Do we know if Tolkien had any appreciation of Beardsley? I looked in
      >Wayne and Christina's book on Tolkien's art but the closest mention is a
      >discussion of Tolkien's comments on surrealism in art in OFS.

      I doubt that there was any Oriental influence on the monogram, direct or
      indirect. Tolkien's is unlike Beardsley's or Whistler's devices, but in the
      same long tradition as Durer's (if more elaborate). There's a small section
      on monograms in Edward Johnston's _Writing and Illuminating, and
      Lettering_, a book Tolkien owned.

      We've not recorded that Tolkien had any appreciation of Beardsley's work,
      but one never knows.

      Wayne

    • Croft, Janet B.