Re: [mythsoc] mysterious publications

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2009
      On Jan 6, 2009, at 12:19 PM, David Bratman wrote:
      > Thank you, and that does remind me of something in my own
      > bibliography that mystifies me. A number of online sources credit
      > me with a non-fiction piece in a semiprozine called "Midnight Zoo"
      > in the v.2 no.1 issue (1992). It appears under the title "Hedgehog
      > Hunters". (Probably editorially supplied: looking at some of the
      > other contents, apparently the editors had a thing about hedgehogs.)
      >
      > I have no idea what this could be. I certainly have no memory of
      > ever writing for "Midnight Zoo", or even having heard of it before
      > I first came across the listing. Although the zine was apparently
      > published in the Bay Area, there are no library copies nearer than
      > Texas.
      >
      > If anyone has "Midnight Zoo", could they possibly enlighten me?

      Afraid I don't know anyone at any of the four libraries listed as
      having MIDNIGHT ZONE -- perhaps Mike Glyer, as a fellow semiprozine
      editior, might know someone who has a set. Or is anyone here at (1)
      Texas A&M, (2) Univ. of Miss., (3) Cornell, or (4) Library of Congress?

      My own strangest glitch in bibliography was finding a spurious item
      -- that is, a piece someone else wrote and signed my name to.
      Fortunately it was only a letter to the editor of a D&D comic book
      (basically the editors wrote themselves a fan letter, saying what a
      great job they were doing, and claimed it was from me). If I'd known
      about it at the time I would have raised all kinds of stink, but I
      didn't find out about it until two years later, when it seemed a
      little late to call them to account.

      On a much simpler note, I don't seem to be receiving MYTHPRINT
      anymore. Whom in the Society should I contact to find out whether my
      subscription has expired? I'm told my review of Blackham's book did
      appear in a recent issue (November?), but I don't have the issue
      number or page number.

      --John R.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2009
        John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

        >On a much simpler note, I don't seem to be receiving MYTHPRINT
        >anymore. Whom in the Society should I contact to find out whether my
        >subscription has expired? I'm told my review of Blackham's book did
        >appear in a recent issue (November?), but I don't have the issue
        >number or page number.

        Oct/Nov 2008 (v. 45, no. 10-11; whole no. 319-20), p. [8]-[9].

        Marion Van Loo is the membership secretary and handles these things; she's reachable at membership@....