Re: mysterious publications

  • Margaret L. Carter
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2009
      I've heard of MIDNIGHT ZOO but don't remember ever having read it or
      submitted to it. So I can't tell you anything about the magazine,
      except that it exists.

      Margaret L. Carter
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2009
        Texas A&M (not too close, but thanks anyway). Also University of Mississippi, Cornell, and the Library of Congress. I haven't checked for individual issue holdings.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2009
          On Jan 6, 2009, at 12:19 PM, David Bratman wrote:
          > Thank you, and that does remind me of something in my own
          > bibliography that mystifies me. A number of online sources credit
          > me with a non-fiction piece in a semiprozine called "Midnight Zoo"
          > in the v.2 no.1 issue (1992). It appears under the title "Hedgehog
          > Hunters". (Probably editorially supplied: looking at some of the
          > other contents, apparently the editors had a thing about hedgehogs.)
          >
          > I have no idea what this could be. I certainly have no memory of
          > ever writing for "Midnight Zoo", or even having heard of it before
          > I first came across the listing. Although the zine was apparently
          > published in the Bay Area, there are no library copies nearer than
          > Texas.
          >
          > If anyone has "Midnight Zoo", could they possibly enlighten me?

          Afraid I don't know anyone at any of the four libraries listed as
          having MIDNIGHT ZONE -- perhaps Mike Glyer, as a fellow semiprozine
          editior, might know someone who has a set. Or is anyone here at (1)
          Texas A&M, (2) Univ. of Miss., (3) Cornell, or (4) Library of Congress?

          My own strangest glitch in bibliography was finding a spurious item
          -- that is, a piece someone else wrote and signed my name to.
          Fortunately it was only a letter to the editor of a D&D comic book
          (basically the editors wrote themselves a fan letter, saying what a
          great job they were doing, and claimed it was from me). If I'd known
          about it at the time I would have raised all kinds of stink, but I
          didn't find out about it until two years later, when it seemed a
          little late to call them to account.

          On a much simpler note, I don't seem to be receiving MYTHPRINT
          anymore. Whom in the Society should I contact to find out whether my
          subscription has expired? I'm told my review of Blackham's book did
          appear in a recent issue (November?), but I don't have the issue
          number or page number.

          --John R.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2009
            John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

            >On a much simpler note, I don't seem to be receiving MYTHPRINT
            >anymore. Whom in the Society should I contact to find out whether my
            >subscription has expired? I'm told my review of Blackham's book did
            >appear in a recent issue (November?), but I don't have the issue
            >number or page number.

            Oct/Nov 2008 (v. 45, no. 10-11; whole no. 319-20), p. [8]-[9].

            Marion Van Loo is the membership secretary and handles these things; she's reachable at membership@....