Re: [mythsoc] mysterious publications

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6, 2009
      More likely, they quoted from something I'd written elsewhere and reprinted (or printed for the first time, if it came from a private letter) it without a note informing me of the project. I've had that experience on other occasions, but without mysterious titles added.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2009
        I've heard of MIDNIGHT ZOO but don't remember ever having read it or
        submitted to it. So I can't tell you anything about the magazine,
        except that it exists.

        Margaret L. Carter
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2009
          Texas A&M (not too close, but thanks anyway). Also University of Mississippi, Cornell, and the Library of Congress. I haven't checked for individual issue holdings.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2009
            On Jan 6, 2009, at 12:19 PM, David Bratman wrote:
            > Thank you, and that does remind me of something in my own
            > bibliography that mystifies me. A number of online sources credit
            > me with a non-fiction piece in a semiprozine called "Midnight Zoo"
            > in the v.2 no.1 issue (1992). It appears under the title "Hedgehog
            > Hunters". (Probably editorially supplied: looking at some of the
            > other contents, apparently the editors had a thing about hedgehogs.)
            >
            > I have no idea what this could be. I certainly have no memory of
            > ever writing for "Midnight Zoo", or even having heard of it before
            > I first came across the listing. Although the zine was apparently
            > published in the Bay Area, there are no library copies nearer than
            > Texas.
            >
            > If anyone has "Midnight Zoo", could they possibly enlighten me?

            Afraid I don't know anyone at any of the four libraries listed as
            having MIDNIGHT ZONE -- perhaps Mike Glyer, as a fellow semiprozine
            editior, might know someone who has a set. Or is anyone here at (1)
            Texas A&M, (2) Univ. of Miss., (3) Cornell, or (4) Library of Congress?

            My own strangest glitch in bibliography was finding a spurious item
            -- that is, a piece someone else wrote and signed my name to.
            Fortunately it was only a letter to the editor of a D&D comic book
            (basically the editors wrote themselves a fan letter, saying what a
            great job they were doing, and claimed it was from me). If I'd known
            about it at the time I would have raised all kinds of stink, but I
            didn't find out about it until two years later, when it seemed a
            little late to call them to account.

            On a much simpler note, I don't seem to be receiving MYTHPRINT
            anymore. Whom in the Society should I contact to find out whether my
            subscription has expired? I'm told my review of Blackham's book did
            appear in a recent issue (November?), but I don't have the issue
            number or page number.

            --John R.
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 7, 2009
              John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

              >On a much simpler note, I don't seem to be receiving MYTHPRINT
              >anymore. Whom in the Society should I contact to find out whether my
              >subscription has expired? I'm told my review of Blackham's book did
              >appear in a recent issue (November?), but I don't have the issue
              >number or page number.

              Oct/Nov 2008 (v. 45, no. 10-11; whole no. 319-20), p. [8]-[9].

              Marion Van Loo is the membership secretary and handles these things; she's reachable at membership@....