Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien and Oriental Calligraphy

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2009
      Doug Kane wrote:

      >It has been pointed out to me that there is a striking similarity between
      >Tolkien's monogram, and a character in the Chinese and Japanese alphebets.
      >Here is a sample:
      ><http://www.mahou.org/Kanji/422B/.>http://www.mahou.org/Kanji/422B/.
      >
      >Does anyone know whether Tolkien ever demonstrated any knowledge of or
      >interest in oriental languages, or specifically in oriental calligraphy? I
      >know that (as Wayne and Christina say), he had from a very early age "an
      >abiding interest in alphabets and scripts" but I've never heard that that
      >interest extended to oriental languages. But my knowledge is woefully
      >inadequate in this area. The similarity is probably just a coincidence,
      >but it piqued my interest nonetheless. If anyone has any thoughts or
      >information on the subject I'd be interested in hearing more.

      It's almost certainly a coincidence. Although Tolkien had an early liking
      for Japanese prints, we've recorded no interest in or study of Chinese or
      Japanese (see the essay "Languages" in The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and
      Guide: Reader's Guide). Nor was it necessary: the idea of intertwining
      letters to form monograms (or ciphers) has a long history in the West, and
      Tolkien developed his now-familiar JRRT monogram after trying out a series
      of simpler versions.

      Wayne & Christina

    • Doug Kane
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 6, 2009
        Thanks, Wayne and Christina!

        _____

        org/Kanji/422B/.>http://www.mahou <http://www.mahou.org/Kanji/422B/.>
        org/Kanji/422B/.

        >Does anyone know whether Tolkien ever demonstrated any knowledge of or
        >interest in oriental languages, or specifically in oriental calligraphy? I
        >know that (as Wayne and Christina say), he had from a very early age "an
        >abiding interest in alphabets and scripts" but I've never heard that that
        >interest extended to oriental languages. But my knowledge is woefully
        >inadequate in this area. The similarity is probably just a coincidence,
        >but it piqued my interest nonetheless. If anyone has any thoughts or
        >information on the subject I'd be interested in hearing more.

        It's almost certainly a coincidence. Although Tolkien had an early liking
        for Japanese prints, we've recorded no interest in or study of Chinese or
        Japanese (see the essay "Languages" in The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and
        Guide: Reader's Guide). Nor was it necessary: the idea of intertwining
        letters to form monograms (or ciphers) has a long history in the West, and
        Tolkien developed his now-familiar JRRT monogram after trying out a series
        of simpler versions.

        Wayne & Christina

      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
          Actually, Tolkien's monogram reminds me very distantly of the signature symbols used by Aubrey Beardsley http://www.wormfood.com/savoy/salome/154.html (I know there are more examples but that's the best I found in a quick search online) and James Whistler http://www.mr-whistlers-art.info/art/design/exhibitions/signature.shtml - perhaps the influence was indirectly Oriental through these and similar artists? Or perhaps it went back to Albrecht Durer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AlbrechtD%C3%BCrer01.jpg ? Do we know if Tolkien had any appreciation of Beardsley? I looked in Wayne and Christina's book on Tolkien's art but the closest mention is a discussion of Tolkien's comments on surrealism in art in OFS.

          Janet

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2009
            Janet wrote:

            >Actually, Tolkien's monogram reminds me very distantly of the signature
            >symbols used by Aubrey Beardsley
            ><http://www.wormfood.com/savoy/salome/154.html>http://www.wormfood.com/savoy/salome/154.html
            >(I know there are more examples but that's the best I found in a quick
            >search online) and James Whistler
            ><http://www.mr-whistlers-art.info/art/design/exhibitions/signature.shtml>http://www.mr-whistlers-art.info/art/design/exhibitions/signature.shtml
            >- perhaps the influence was indirectly Oriental through these and similar
            >artists? Or perhaps it went back to Albrecht Durer
            ><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AlbrechtD%C3%BCrer01.jpg>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AlbrechtD%C3%BCrer01.jpg
            >? Do we know if Tolkien had any appreciation of Beardsley? I looked in
            >Wayne and Christina's book on Tolkien's art but the closest mention is a
            >discussion of Tolkien's comments on surrealism in art in OFS.

            I doubt that there was any Oriental influence on the monogram, direct or
            indirect. Tolkien's is unlike Beardsley's or Whistler's devices, but in the
            same long tradition as Durer's (if more elaborate). There's a small section
            on monograms in Edward Johnston's _Writing and Illuminating, and
            Lettering_, a book Tolkien owned.

            We've not recorded that Tolkien had any appreciation of Beardsley's work,
            but one never knows.

            Wayne

          • Croft, Janet B.