mysterious publications

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6, 2009
      John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

      >Many thanks to all who tried to help me locate this bibliographic
      >ghost (Gary, Joe, Margaret, & David); hope your trip down memory lane
      >was enjoyable in its own right. Let me know if sometime I can return
      >the favor.

      Thank you, and that does remind me of something in my own bibliography that mystifies me. A number of online sources credit me with a non-fiction piece in a semiprozine called "Midnight Zoo" in the v.2 no.1 issue (1992). It appears under the title "Hedgehog Hunters". (Probably editorially supplied: looking at some of the other contents, apparently the editors had a thing about hedgehogs.)

      I have no idea what this could be. I certainly have no memory of ever writing for "Midnight Zoo", or even having heard of it before I first came across the listing. Although the zine was apparently published in the Bay Area, there are no library copies nearer than Texas.

      If anyone has "Midnight Zoo", could they possibly enlighten me?
    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 2009
        David Bratman said:
        >A number of online sources credit me with a non-fiction piece in a semiprozine called "Midnight Zoo" in the v.2 no.1 issue (1992). ...
        >
        >I have no idea what this could be. I certainly have no memory of ever writing for "Midnight Zoo", or even having heard of it before I first came across the listing.

        Several possibilities occur to me:

        (1) The person or persons involved in the recent C.S.Lewis Wikipedia hoax are at it again.

        (2) You did write it, but it has been Eternal-Sunshined out of your mind.

        (3) There is another "David Bratman" out there.

        I can't decide which of these is more frightening. ;-)

        David Emerson

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com
      • juliet@firinn.org
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6, 2009
          On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 03:19:56PM -0500, David Bratman wrote:
          > I have no idea what this could be. I certainly have no memory of ever writing for "Midnight Zoo", or even having heard of it before I first came across the listing. Although the zine was apparently published in the Bay Area, there are no library copies nearer than Texas.

          Where in Texas? If it's in the DFW area, maybe I can get hold of it.

          Julie
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 6, 2009
            More likely, they quoted from something I'd written elsewhere and reprinted (or printed for the first time, if it came from a private letter) it without a note informing me of the project. I've had that experience on other occasions, but without mysterious titles added.

            >>A number of online sources credit me with a non-fiction piece in a semiprozine called "Midnight Zoo" in the v.2 no.1 issue (1992). ...
            >>
            >>I have no idea what this could be. I certainly have no memory of ever writing for "Midnight Zoo", or even having heard of it before I first came across the listing.
            >

            >Several possibilities occur to me:
            >
            >(1) The person or persons involved in the recent C.S.Lewis Wikipedia hoax are at it again.
            >
            >(2) You did write it, but it has been Eternal-Sunshined out of your mind.
            >
            >(3) There is another "David Bratman" out there.
            >
            >I can't decide which of these is more frightening. ;-)
            >
            >David Emerson

          • Margaret L. Carter
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 7, 2009
              I've heard of MIDNIGHT ZOO but don't remember ever having read it or
              submitted to it. So I can't tell you anything about the magazine,
              except that it exists.

              Margaret L. Carter
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 7, 2009
                Texas A&M (not too close, but thanks anyway). Also University of Mississippi, Cornell, and the Library of Congress. I haven't checked for individual issue holdings.

                >On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 03:19:56PM -0500, David Bratman wrote:
                >> I have no idea what this could be. I certainly have no memory of ever writing for "Midnight Zoo", or even having heard of it before I first came across the listing. Although the zine was apparently published in the Bay Area, there are no library copies nearer than Texas.
                >
                >Where in Texas? If it's in the DFW area, maybe I can get hold of it.
                >
                >Julie
              • John D Rateliff
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 7, 2009
                  On Jan 6, 2009, at 12:19 PM, David Bratman wrote:
                  > Thank you, and that does remind me of something in my own
                  > bibliography that mystifies me. A number of online sources credit
                  > me with a non-fiction piece in a semiprozine called "Midnight Zoo"
                  > in the v.2 no.1 issue (1992). It appears under the title "Hedgehog
                  > Hunters". (Probably editorially supplied: looking at some of the
                  > other contents, apparently the editors had a thing about hedgehogs.)
                  >
                  > I have no idea what this could be. I certainly have no memory of
                  > ever writing for "Midnight Zoo", or even having heard of it before
                  > I first came across the listing. Although the zine was apparently
                  > published in the Bay Area, there are no library copies nearer than
                  > Texas.
                  >
                  > If anyone has "Midnight Zoo", could they possibly enlighten me?

                  Afraid I don't know anyone at any of the four libraries listed as
                  having MIDNIGHT ZONE -- perhaps Mike Glyer, as a fellow semiprozine
                  editior, might know someone who has a set. Or is anyone here at (1)
                  Texas A&M, (2) Univ. of Miss., (3) Cornell, or (4) Library of Congress?

                  My own strangest glitch in bibliography was finding a spurious item
                  -- that is, a piece someone else wrote and signed my name to.
                  Fortunately it was only a letter to the editor of a D&D comic book
                  (basically the editors wrote themselves a fan letter, saying what a
                  great job they were doing, and claimed it was from me). If I'd known
                  about it at the time I would have raised all kinds of stink, but I
                  didn't find out about it until two years later, when it seemed a
                  little late to call them to account.

                  On a much simpler note, I don't seem to be receiving MYTHPRINT
                  anymore. Whom in the Society should I contact to find out whether my
                  subscription has expired? I'm told my review of Blackham's book did
                  appear in a recent issue (November?), but I don't have the issue
                  number or page number.

                  --John R.
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 7, 2009
                    John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

                    >On a much simpler note, I don't seem to be receiving MYTHPRINT
                    >anymore. Whom in the Society should I contact to find out whether my
                    >subscription has expired? I'm told my review of Blackham's book did
                    >appear in a recent issue (November?), but I don't have the issue
                    >number or page number.

                    Oct/Nov 2008 (v. 45, no. 10-11; whole no. 319-20), p. [8]-[9].

                    Marion Van Loo is the membership secretary and handles these things; she's reachable at membership@....