Re: [mythsoc] X-Men

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31 7:23 AM
      Matthew wrote:

      >No, your friend is not correct. Charles Xavier actually was an athlete in
      high
      >school and was wheel-chair ridden during a battle with an alien being named
      >(IIRC: it's been quite a few years) Lucifer. This was detailed in an
      extremely
      >early issue of Uncanny X-Men (somewhere around the dozen mark, but I can't
      >recall exactly).

      No. 9, guest-starring the Avengers -- speaking of old-time readers! I
      started to read X-Men with no. 8, original series, back in the good old
      twelve-cent days -- and I remember ten-cent comics too. Gave it up a few
      years later, missing the Kirby art, then came back in during the
      Claremont-Byrne heyday, kept reading for a while after that, but stopped
      when (a) Claremont's endless subplots got to be too much for me, and (b) I
      tallied up what I was spending on comics per year.

      Of course, remembering that Xavier lost the use of his legs due to Lucifer
      (that was indeed his name) as told in no. 9 of the original series may not
      be the same as knowing what Xavier's history is at present, given the
      revisionism that goes on in comics!

      >As to picking up the X-Men story line, forget it. It's been going for c400
      >issues and from what I've heard (haven't seen the movie yet), the movie is
      >faithful to the 'feel' of the comic, but it picks and chooses what to
      include.
      >And as anyone who has read a single series for more than 5 years,
      'continuity'
      >is a bit of a loose term.

      What I said. The movie does a pretty good job, all things considered.

      Wayne Hammond
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31 6:05 PM
        >From: "Diane Joy Baker" <dianejoy@...>

        >I saw X-Men again yesterday, and noticed many scenes that are quite subtle:
        >Wolverine's fragmented memories on the millitary experiments for example. I
        >wondered if Xavier got into the wheelchair by accident; a friend told me
        >that he was born that way: physical disadvantage, but very mentally
        >powerful. As a veteran X Man fan, is he correct?

        As Matt said, he's wrong. He actually even got out of the chair some time
        in the 1980s or early 1990s, thanks to Shi'ar (or however you spell it --
        aliens who are descended from birds and whose queen has the hots for Xavier)
        technology. Then a fresh squeezing by the Shadow King put him back in it.

        Is there any way I can
        >catch up on the origins of the characters, including the villans?
        >Mystique's history would be very interesting, I'd think.

        Your best bet is to try a web site. Marvel comics certainly has one, and
        there's probably zillions of fan ones as well. I don't believe we've been
        told much of Mystique's background. (And, BTW, she is in recent issues of
        the comics.) They did reveal a couple of years ago that she is the mother
        of Nightcrawler.

        >I'll say that Wolverine is quite "buff" as they say, and "easy on the eyes."
        >Of course, the men have Mystique. (Neat effects.) Rumor hath it that
        >Wolverine's father may be Sabertooth. Any truth? ---djb.

        I don't remember if they came out and confirmed it, but it looks like he is,
        the way they've handled it.

        Evidently Jean Gray is a doctor in the movie? That's certainly a change
        from the comic! She's one of my favorite characters, and from what I've
        read, the movie apparently doesn't do her justice.

        Berni