Re: [mythsoc] Re: Lewis mention in Wikipedia

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2008
      Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...> wrote:

      >sometimes people do dumb things, often without good reasons or clear aims.

      "There's no longer even any bad sense in it. They cut down trees and let 'em lie, they burn houses and build no more." - Farmer Tom Cotton, Nov. 2, 3019

      Sometimes vandalism is its own reward, or is the result of factors too obscure to guess.
    • marywilt
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31, 2008
        I sent this a few days ago but it apparently was not posted on the list
        (perhaps I'm being moderated for bad behavior? Grin).

        If it was moderated, can the mods just delete that previous post to
        avoid double posting? Thanks.

        I'll post it again, for what it's worth. My sole point (if I have one)
        being that perhaps there is a personal motivation for this hoax, not an
        "attack" on New College, per se.

        I'm not a Wikipedia contributor, so am not entirely sure how the
        behind-the-scenes talk goes on, but this entry has been discussed
        before. I can't really tell if the person who posted the response (which
        is noted as coming from "AlcockMarine") is or is not in reality Franck
        Alcock, who is listed as a co-author and is at New College.

        For what it's worth:

        On a "Wiki Talk" page at medlibrary (I'm not a Wiki contributor so am
        not entirely sure how that works!) there is a brief discussion of this
        entry <http://medlibrary.org/medwiki/Talk:Male_prostitution#cite_note-1>
        , in which "AlcockMarine" responds to questions about the citation for
        the Lewis article: I was mistaken in the second reference- the title
        is a book chapter not a journal article. I will reinsert the section
        with the correct reference. AlcockMarine
        <http://medlibrary.org/w/index.php?title=User:AlcockMarine&action=edit&r\
        edlink=1> (talk
        <http://medlibrary.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:AlcockMarine&action=e\
        dit&redlink=1> ) 23:22, 4 October 2008 (UTC) It still reads "Journal
        of AA of R" at the wikipedia site, though. Perhaps the AlcockMarine
        user who said he would reinsert the text with the correct citation is
        the same Frank Alcock who is listed as an author of the article (?book
        chapter?) in question--or is it? Frank Alcock is on staff at New College
        and is (or was) director of a "Marine Policy Institute".
        <http://131.247.154.17/PublicAffairs/Documents/Alcock.htm> Not sure
        what I think anyone wants to do with all this "intuition" and Googling
        on my part, though. Grin. mary

        > Hi, Wendell,
        >
        > At the risk of making a mountain out of an almost off-topic molehill,
        let me try to clarify my own earlier comments, which I think (and hope)
        will address yours as well. Others, please feel free to ignore this
        entire message, if you aren't interested in the subject.

        > > I think you all completely missed my point when I
        > > said that this hoax was obscure and pointless.
        >
        > I don't think we're missing your point, but you did also ask
        *why* someone would bother. I was making a stab at answering that
        question – e.g., vanity, an axe to grind with those professors, the
        school, or literary theory, etc.

      • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 31, 2008
          > Is it aimed at the one of the professors? Why claim that the article was
          > written by six professors then? Why would any professor care that he was
          > listed as one of the authors of a hoax article, and why put the only
          > mention of
          > this article in the Wikipedia article where no one would think about it
          > being a
          > hoax for months?

          Excuse me, Wendell, but I would think that the professors would care very
          much that a bogus scholarly citation was out there on the internet with
          their names attached. Particularly (as seems likely given the somewhat
          insulting topic of "the paper") if the subject matter was quite contrary
          to their own opinions and beliefs.

          Someone somewhere could easily add this bit of joke-crap to a bibliography
          of one of those professors, which would then be picked up and repeated by
          anyone else referring to any of the professors.

          It is an unfortunate truth that there are MANY people who think that the
          more something is repeated on the internet, the truer it is. After 18
          years of being obliged to find *independant* second sources on facts, I've
          seen how easy it is to spread "information" on the net.

          So... again, I think the professors would indeed be concerned with
          something like this, which could easily turn into a professional mess for
          them. Maybe only an irritating one, but a mess none the less.