Re: [mythsoc] It took six professors to come up with this?

  • mwilt
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 25, 2008
      On a "Wiki Talk" page at medlibrary (I'm not a Wiki contributor so am not entirely sure how that works!) there is a brief discussion of this entry, in which "AlcockMarine" responds to questions about the citation for the Lewis article:

      I was mistaken in the second reference- the title is a book chapter not a journal article. I will reinsert the section with the correct reference. AlcockMarine (talk) 23:22, 4 October 2008 (UTC)

      It still reads "Journal of AA of R" at the wikipedia site, though.

      I suspect (but it's just intuition so I may be mistaken) that the AlcockMarine user who said he would reinsert the text with the correct citation is the same Frank Alcock who is listed as an author of the article (?book chapter?) in question. Frank Alcock is on staff at New College and is (or was) director of a "Marine Policy Institute".

      Not sure what I think anyone wants to do with all this "intuition" and Googling on my part, though.

      Grin.

      mary

      **********************
      In a message dated 12/25/2008 12:56:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      Have you considered the possibility that this may be some Wikipedia user's idea of a joke?

      I didn't think of that. The footnote on the Wikipedia page says that it was published in The Journal of the American Academy of Religion. That's a real journal, but I can't find a reference to this article when I search their archives.

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 28, 2008
        In a message dated 12/27/2008 9:03:04 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        rvjames@... writes:

        The College of Florida
        The name is New College of Florida or just New College. As I said, it's
        where my B.A. is from. The name was just New College when I was there. Its
        full name has changed a couple of times since I left, but most people there just
        refer to it as New College. Thanks for contacting the professors and
        straightening this out, Richard. I was about to do that, but I'm glad you took
        care of it. I must say that the business of adding the fake collaboration
        between the six professors to the Wikipedia entry strikes me as one of the most
        obscure and pointless jokes I've ever heard of. Why would someone bother to do
        enough research to use six real professors and a real journal for the place
        where this hoax article appeared?

        Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.

      • Jason Fisher
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 29, 2008
          > I must say that the business of adding the fake
          > collaboration between the six professors to the
          > Wikipedia entry strikes me as one of the most
          > obscure and pointless jokes I've ever heard of.
          > Why would someone bother to do enough
          > research to use six real professors and a real
          > journal for the place where this hoax article
          > appeared?

          The more believable the hoax, the more likely (and the longer) it will evade the legions of bots and volunteers constantly working to undo this kind of "information vandalism". As to why somebody wanted to perpetrate the hoax in the first place, perhaps it was vanity? "Look at me! I can affect the Internet!" (My answer to that: start a blog. :-) Or perhaps the individual has an axe to grind with the school or those professors? I don't pretend to understand the motivation, but the method, yes, that makes good sense to me.

          Jason

        • Steve Schaper
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 30, 2008
            Well, even the people working for wikipedia engage in information
            vandalism and heavy bias from time to time. Whether it is less so than
            dead-tree encyclopedias is an open question, I think. I don't know the
            answer to that.
          • John D Rateliff
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 30, 2008
              It's easier to sabotage wikipedia, and easier for them to fix it.
              By contrast, I found one error introduced into the 1970 edition
              of BREWER'S DICTIONARY OF PHRASE AND FABLE that's still not been
              fixed thirty-eight years later, and another that dates back more than
              a century. Wikipedia would have both fixed in a day.
              As with all reference books, you check the validity of what you
              don't know by their coverage of what you do, and takes yr chances
              accordingly.
              --JDR