Colbert on Conan, with reamarkably informed Tolkien refs.

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 28, 2008
      The Tolkien part is right around 8:15. There's some equally informed
      D&D banter before that.

      http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7uvw_colbert-on-obrian_events
    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 29, 2008
        Oh yes, Stephen Colbert is a great big nerd, just like most of us. Here's another clip for you, from an episode of The Daily Show (September 27, 2005), with guest Viggo Mortensen. Most of the interview is about Mortensen's film, The History of Violence, but around 3:35 into the clip, Jon Stewart plays some tape of Stephen Colbert riffing on Aragorn's history. He definitely knows more than the casual fan. (Note that there's a little bit of salty language toward the end of the clip.)

        http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=124617

        Jason

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 29, 2008
          Does anyone know if Stephen Colbert ever wrote a letter to any
          Tolkien-related journal or came to any Tolkien events or belonged to the Mythopoeic
          Society or any other Tolkien-related society?

          Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.

        • Cathy Akers-Jordan
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 30, 2008
            Both of these clips are hilarious! I feel so much less geeky now. :)

            On an almost related note, D&D players will enjoy this site, which
            parodies Jackson's films by portraying them as a badly run D&D game:

            http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612

            My apologies if this has been posted before.

            Happy New Year, everyone! Ná alya i vinya loa! (I hope I got that
            right...)

            Cathy
          • Wayne G. Hammond
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 30, 2008
              >Oh yes, Stephen Colbert is a great big nerd, just like most of us. Here's
              >another clip for you, from an episode of The Daily Show (September 27,
              >2005), with guest Viggo Mortensen. Most of the interview is about
              >Mortensen's film, The History of Violence, but around 3:35 into the clip,
              >Jon Stewart plays some tape of Stephen Colbert riffing on Aragorn's
              >history. He definitely knows more than the casual fan. (Note that there's
              >a little bit of salty language toward the end of the clip.)

              Colbert needs to work on some of his pronunciation of names, but yes, he
              knows his Tolkien. A future Mythcon guest of honor, perhaps?

              I must confess, being someone who prefers sleep to O'Brien, that when
              reading the subject line on Carl's original post I wondered what on earth
              Stephen Colbert could be saying about Conan the Barbarian.

              Wayne

            • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 30, 2008
                > Colbert needs to work on some of his pronunciation of names, but yes, he
                > knows his Tolkien. A future Mythcon guest of honor, perhaps?
                >
                > I must confess, being someone who prefers sleep to O'Brien, that when
                > reading the subject line on Carl's original post I wondered what on earth
                > Stephen Colbert could be saying about Conan the Barbarian.
                >
                > Wayne

                LOL! I'm afraid I too had that initial reaction, Wayne! And if I'm up
                that late, O'Brien is not my viewing of choice.

                Colbert is located in New Jersey, for what that's worth (hint to any East
                Coast potential Mythcon Committees).