Westmarch Chronicle

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 25, 2008
      Does anyone on this list have a complete set of THE WESTMARCH
      CHRONICLE, Bernie Zuber's Tolkien newsletter [1978-1982]? I'm trying
      to find a copy of a brief article I did on Ossian & Tolkien,
      suggesting parallels between the impulse behind Macpherson's forged
      legendry and JRRT's re-inventing of lost myth, but what issues I had
      are long lost. I don't know what issue my piece appeared in; probably
      towards the end of the magazine's run. Certainly not before fall 1979.
      Any help much appreciated.
      And a Merry Christmas to all.

      --John R.
    • Margaret Dean
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 25, 2008
        I don't know if I have a full set, but I did get The Westmarch Chronicle for
        some years. After the holidays I'll dig out the appropriate box and have a
        look.

        --Margaret Dean
        margdean56@...

        On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 1:33 PM, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...>wrote:

        > Does anyone on this list have a complete set of THE WESTMARCH
        > CHRONICLE, Bernie Zuber's Tolkien newsletter [1978-1982]? I'm trying
        > to find a copy of a brief article I did on Ossian & Tolkien,
        > suggesting parallels between the impulse behind Macpherson's forged
        > legendry and JRRT's re-inventing of lost myth, but what issues I had
        > are long lost. I don't know what issue my piece appeared in; probably
        > towards the end of the magazine's run. Certainly not before fall 1979.
        > Any help much appreciated.
        > And a Merry Christmas to all.
        >
        > --John R.

      • ajkjr1
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 26, 2008

          > Does anyone on this list have a complete set of THE WESTMARCH
          > CHRONICLE, Bernie Zuber's Tolkien newsletter [1978-1982]? I'm trying
          > to find a copy of a brief article I did on Ossian & Tolkien,
          > suggesting parallels between the impulse behind Macpherson's forged
          > legendry and JRRT's re-inventing of lost myth, but what issues I
          had
          > are long lost. I don't know what issue my piece appeared in;
          probably
          > towards the end of the magazine's run. Certainly not before fall 1979.
          > Any help much appreciated.
          > And a Merry Christmas to all.
          >
          > --John R.

          John:

          I checked the copies I have and could not find it. To help others out
          the ones not to look in are:

          The Westmarch Chronicle - Vol. 1, Number 4
          The Westmarch Chronicle - Vol. 1, Number 6
          The Westmarch Chronicle - Vol. 1, Number 7
          The Westmarch Chronicle - Vol. 1, Number 8
          The Westmarch Chronicle - Vol. 1, Number 12
          The Westmarch Chronicle - Vol. 2, Number 3
          The Westmarch Chronicle - Vol. 3, Number 5
          The Westmarch Chronicle - Vol. 4, Number 1
          The Westmarch Chronicle - Vol. 4, Number 2
          The Westmarch Chronicle - Vol. 4, Number 6
          The Westmarch Chronicle - Vol. 5, Number 4
          The Westmarch Chronicle - Vol. 6, Number 2

          Wish I could help more.

          Joe K.
        • Margaret Dean
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2009
            Well, a lot of digging and hauling about of heavy boxes in the garage
            turned up my Westmarch Chronicles (along with a lot of other Tolkien
            zines), but my collection isn't as extensive as I thought it was (it
            only goes from Volume 5, No. 2 to Volume 6, No. 2) and unfortunately,
            John, your article wasn't in any of those issues. Apologies!

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2009
              I dug out my fairly extensive run (v. 2 no. 4, Nov/Dec 1978 to v. 6 no. 2, July/Aug 1982, which I think was the last issue) and I couldn't find it either. I'd thought I was just not looking hard enough.

              >Well, a lot of digging and hauling about of heavy boxes in the garage
              >turned up my Westmarch Chronicles (along with a lot of other Tolkien
              >zines), but my collection isn't as extensive as I thought it was (it
              >only goes from Volume 5, No. 2 to Volume 6, No. 2) and unfortunately,
              >John, your article wasn't in any of those issues. Apologies!
              >
              >On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Margaret Dean <margdean56@...> wrote:
              >> I don't know if I have a full set, but I did get The Westmarch Chronicle for
              >> some years. After the holidays I'll dig out the appropriate box and have a
              >> look.
              >>
              >> --Margaret Dean
              >> margdean56@...
              >>

              >> On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 1:33 PM, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...>
              >> wrote:
              >>>
              >>> Does anyone on this list have a complete set of THE WESTMARCH
              >>> CHRONICLE, Bernie Zuber's Tolkien newsletter [1978-1982]? I'm trying
              >>> to find a copy of a brief article I did on Ossian & Tolkien,
              >>> suggesting parallels between the impulse behind Macpherson's forged
              >>> legendry and JRRT's re-inventing of lost myth, but what issues I had
              >>> are long lost. I don't know what issue my piece appeared in; probably
              >>> towards the end of the magazine's run. Certainly not before fall 1979.
              >>> Any help much appreciated.
              >>> And a Merry Christmas to all.
              >>>
              >>> --John R.

            • John D Rateliff
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 6, 2009
                Well, four people have now searched their collections and not come up
                with it, so I'm left to conclude that I'm wrong about its having seen
                print there. Perhaps I sent it in near the end of the newsletter's
                run and the journal stopped before it appeared. Too bad; it would
                have been a useful starting point for a re-reading of MacPherson I'm
                about to embark on soon.

                Many thanks to all who tried to help me locate this bibliographic
                ghost (Gary, Joe, Margaret, & David); hope your trip down memory lane
                was enjoyable in its own right. Let me know if sometime I can return
                the favor.

                And a happy Twelfth Day of Christmas to you all.

                --JDR