Re: [mythsoc] X-Men

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2000
      Diane Joy Baker [dianejoy@...] wrote:
      > > I gotta say Jackman as Wolverine is =cute=, even with all the excess
      > > face-fuzz. Strips well, too, (mm-HMM) as they used to say. (In THE
      > X-MEN,
      > > whenever Jean Gray can't think of anything else to do with a patient,
      > which
      > > is always, she strips 'em and sticks electrodes all over 'em.)
      > >
      > > mary S

      I think Mary needs to read some more of that Christian Harry Potter that Joan
      was telling us about -- get her straightened out here <g>.

      Then Diane asked:
      > I saw X-Men again yesterday, and noticed many scenes that are quite subtle:
      > Wolverine's fragmented memories on the millitary experiments for example. I
      > wondered if Xavier got into the wheelchair by accident; a friend told me
      > that he was born that way: physical disadvantage, but very mentally
      > powerful. As a veteran X Man fan, is he correct? Is there any way I can
      > catch up on the origins of the characters, including the villans?
      > Mystique's history would be very interesting, I'd think.

      No, your friend is not correct. Charles Xavier actually was an athlete in high
      school and was wheel-chair ridden during a battle with an alien being named
      (IIRC: it's been quite a few years) Lucifer. This was detailed in an extremely
      early issue of Uncanny X-Men (somewhere around the dozen mark, but I can't
      recall exactly).

      As to picking up the X-Men story line, forget it. It's been going for c400
      issues and from what I've heard (haven't seen the movie yet), the movie is
      faithful to the 'feel' of the comic, but it picks and chooses what to include.
      And as anyone who has read a single series for more than 5 years, 'continuity'
      is a bit of a loose term.

      > I'll say that Wolverine is quite "buff" as they say, and "easy on the eyes."
      > Of course, the men have Mystique. (Neat effects.) Rumor hath it that
      > Wolverine's father may be Sabertooth. Any truth? ---djb.

      Oh, gosh. I haven't read X-Men for about 5 years. When I stopped reading, it
      was still a rumor that hadn't been confirmed yet. I've a feelling it's still
      that way. Of course, all I have to do is post my opinion and if it's wrong,
      this list will quickly correct me <g>.

      "I am always positively delighted to get feedback, even if it starts by
      identifying me as mud-sucking pond scum in the opening sentence."
      --Paul Ferris
      Currently reading: The Tower at Stony Wood by Patricia McKillip
    • Diane Joy Baker
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2000
        > I was at the customer-service desk in my local grocery after the movie. A
        > woman in her forties or fifties was also there, and discovered in idle
        chat
        > that we'd just been to the movies.
        >
        > "Oh, what did you see?"
        >
        > "The X-Men," I replied. I swear she looked at me like I had three heads
        :)

        > Well, I don't care. Silver-haired or no, I got the right. I read the
        X-Men
        > back before some of their current fans were even =born=, I reckon.
        >
        > I gotta say Jackman as Wolverine is =cute=, even with all the excess
        > face-fuzz. Strips well, too, (mm-HMM) as they used to say. (In THE
        X-MEN,
        > whenever Jean Gray can't think of anything else to do with a patient,
        which
        > is always, she strips 'em and sticks electrodes all over 'em.)
        >
        > mary S

        I saw X-Men again yesterday, and noticed many scenes that are quite subtle:
        Wolverine's fragmented memories on the millitary experiments for example. I
        wondered if Xavier got into the wheelchair by accident; a friend told me
        that he was born that way: physical disadvantage, but very mentally
        powerful. As a veteran X Man fan, is he correct? Is there any way I can
        catch up on the origins of the characters, including the villans?
        Mystique's history would be very interesting, I'd think.

        I'll say that Wolverine is quite "buff" as they say, and "easy on the eyes."
        Of course, the men have Mystique. (Neat effects.) Rumor hath it that
        Wolverine's father may be Sabertooth. Any truth? ---djb.
      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2000
          Matthew wrote:

          >No, your friend is not correct. Charles Xavier actually was an athlete in
          high
          >school and was wheel-chair ridden during a battle with an alien being named
          >(IIRC: it's been quite a few years) Lucifer. This was detailed in an
          extremely
          >early issue of Uncanny X-Men (somewhere around the dozen mark, but I can't
          >recall exactly).

          No. 9, guest-starring the Avengers -- speaking of old-time readers! I
          started to read X-Men with no. 8, original series, back in the good old
          twelve-cent days -- and I remember ten-cent comics too. Gave it up a few
          years later, missing the Kirby art, then came back in during the
          Claremont-Byrne heyday, kept reading for a while after that, but stopped
          when (a) Claremont's endless subplots got to be too much for me, and (b) I
          tallied up what I was spending on comics per year.

          Of course, remembering that Xavier lost the use of his legs due to Lucifer
          (that was indeed his name) as told in no. 9 of the original series may not
          be the same as knowing what Xavier's history is at present, given the
          revisionism that goes on in comics!

          >As to picking up the X-Men story line, forget it. It's been going for c400
          >issues and from what I've heard (haven't seen the movie yet), the movie is
          >faithful to the 'feel' of the comic, but it picks and chooses what to
          include.
          >And as anyone who has read a single series for more than 5 years,
          'continuity'
          >is a bit of a loose term.

          What I said. The movie does a pretty good job, all things considered.

          Wayne Hammond
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 31, 2000
            >From: "Diane Joy Baker" <dianejoy@...>

            >I saw X-Men again yesterday, and noticed many scenes that are quite subtle:
            >Wolverine's fragmented memories on the millitary experiments for example. I
            >wondered if Xavier got into the wheelchair by accident; a friend told me
            >that he was born that way: physical disadvantage, but very mentally
            >powerful. As a veteran X Man fan, is he correct?

            As Matt said, he's wrong. He actually even got out of the chair some time
            in the 1980s or early 1990s, thanks to Shi'ar (or however you spell it --
            aliens who are descended from birds and whose queen has the hots for Xavier)
            technology. Then a fresh squeezing by the Shadow King put him back in it.

            Is there any way I can
            >catch up on the origins of the characters, including the villans?
            >Mystique's history would be very interesting, I'd think.

            Your best bet is to try a web site. Marvel comics certainly has one, and
            there's probably zillions of fan ones as well. I don't believe we've been
            told much of Mystique's background. (And, BTW, she is in recent issues of
            the comics.) They did reveal a couple of years ago that she is the mother
            of Nightcrawler.

            >I'll say that Wolverine is quite "buff" as they say, and "easy on the eyes."
            >Of course, the men have Mystique. (Neat effects.) Rumor hath it that
            >Wolverine's father may be Sabertooth. Any truth? ---djb.

            I don't remember if they came out and confirmed it, but it looks like he is,
            the way they've handled it.

            Evidently Jean Gray is a doctor in the movie? That's certainly a change
            from the comic! She's one of my favorite characters, and from what I've
            read, the movie apparently doesn't do her justice.

            Berni