Re: [mythsoc] Capitalization in Tolkien

  • John Davis
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 23, 2008
      Hi Wayne,

      Interesting - thanks for that.

      John

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Wayne G. Hammond
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:03 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Capitalization in Tolkien

      John Davis wrote:

      >Can you tell me what conclusions you reached?

      Our editorial brief for The Lord of the Rings was that we should follow
      Tolkien's intentions, when known or perceived with sufficient confidence.
      Unfortunately, there were too many ambiguous or uncertain instances of
      hobbits/Hobbits and other variously capitalized names of peoples (also of
      sun/Sun, moon/Moon) in The Lord of the Rings to impose a general rule, so
      we left things as they stood in our copy-text. Although we were able to
      make a case for selected regularizations in other respects, Christopher
      Tolkien agreed that it was best not to do so for the names of races. We
      did, however, capitalize names of races, when used as such, in our added
      commentary. Again, see The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion,
      especially pp. 25-26. There was also a related issue with elvish/Elvish,
      though there we had explicit JRRT direction: see Reader's Companion p. 173.

      Wayne & Christina