Re: [mythsoc] Capitalization in Tolkien

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 13, 2008
      John Davis wrote:

      >Can you tell me what conclusions you reached?

      Our editorial brief for The Lord of the Rings was that we should follow
      Tolkien's intentions, when known or perceived with sufficient confidence.
      Unfortunately, there were too many ambiguous or uncertain instances of
      hobbits/Hobbits and other variously capitalized names of peoples (also of
      sun/Sun, moon/Moon) in The Lord of the Rings to impose a general rule, so
      we left things as they stood in our copy-text. Although we were able to
      make a case for selected regularizations in other respects, Christopher
      Tolkien agreed that it was best not to do so for the names of races. We
      did, however, capitalize names of races, when used as such, in our added
      commentary. Again, see The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion,
      especially pp. 25-26. There was also a related issue with elvish/Elvish,
      though there we had explicit JRRT direction: see Reader's Companion p. 173.

      Wayne & Christina

    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 22, 2008
        I've now finished up the Wilcox book, which turns out (like most of
        his works) to not be a book at all but an audiobook original --
        essentialLY an extended lecture or sermon. I wouldn't rank it as
        essential but rather as for completists. I liked the second of the
        two cds better, since there was less about Narnia on it. Despite its
        presumptive focus, it really doesn't delve much into specifics about
        how Lewis's ideas interact with Morman beliefs, which could have been
        rather interesting, but rather holds him up as a champion for all
        Xians. I'd hoped for an examination of THE GREAT DIVORCE (which
        Wilcox describes as a favorite of his) in the light of Morman
        afterlife/prejudgment teachings, but no such luck. A missed
        opportunity, I'd say.
        --JDR
      • John Davis
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 23, 2008