Re: [mythsoc] _Uruk-hai_ (was Re: Capitalization in Tolkien)

  • Diane Joy
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 9, 2008
      I bow to greater knowledge.
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Carl F. Hostetter
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 2:55 AM
      Subject: [mythsoc] _Uruk-hai_ (was Re: Capitalization in Tolkien)

      No, it's Uruk-hai. And note that _-hai_ is a race-collective, meaning
      "folk", so an individual can't be "an Uruk-hai"; rather, one is "of
      the Uruk-hai".

      Carl

      On Dec 9, 2008, at 1:11 AM, Diane Joy wrote:

      > An Urik-hai, I think?

    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 13, 2008
        John Davis wrote:

        >Can you tell me what conclusions you reached?

        Our editorial brief for The Lord of the Rings was that we should follow
        Tolkien's intentions, when known or perceived with sufficient confidence.
        Unfortunately, there were too many ambiguous or uncertain instances of
        hobbits/Hobbits and other variously capitalized names of peoples (also of
        sun/Sun, moon/Moon) in The Lord of the Rings to impose a general rule, so
        we left things as they stood in our copy-text. Although we were able to
        make a case for selected regularizations in other respects, Christopher
        Tolkien agreed that it was best not to do so for the names of races. We
        did, however, capitalize names of races, when used as such, in our added
        commentary. Again, see The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion,
        especially pp. 25-26. There was also a related issue with elvish/Elvish,
        though there we had explicit JRRT direction: see Reader's Companion p. 173.

        Wayne & Christina

      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 22, 2008
          I've now finished up the Wilcox book, which turns out (like most of
          his works) to not be a book at all but an audiobook original --
          essentialLY an extended lecture or sermon. I wouldn't rank it as
          essential but rather as for completists. I liked the second of the
          two cds better, since there was less about Narnia on it. Despite its
          presumptive focus, it really doesn't delve much into specifics about
          how Lewis's ideas interact with Morman beliefs, which could have been
          rather interesting, but rather holds him up as a champion for all
          Xians. I'd hoped for an examination of THE GREAT DIVORCE (which
          Wilcox describes as a favorite of his) in the light of Morman
          afterlife/prejudgment teachings, but no such luck. A missed
          opportunity, I'd say.
          --JDR
        • John Davis
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 23, 2008