Journey to the Sea #6 -- Myth Beyond Words

  • hoytrand
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2008
      I have published the sixth issue of my online myth magazine Journey to
      the Sea [journeytothesea.com]. The first articles mentions a couple of
      quotes from C.S. Lewis's introduction to *George MacDonald: An
      Anthology* related to myth-making as a non-literary art form, and the
      third article was written by Alana Joli Abbott, a Mythopoeic Society
      member who has published in Mythprint.

      Myth Beyond Words
      http://journeytothesea.com/myth-beyond-words/
      ----
      I show how a wide variety of works, from ancient pottery and
      stained-glass windows to comic books and movie soundtracks, use
      more than just words to communicate myths or to recall them to
      mind.

      Aesop Illustrations: Telling the Story in Images
      http://journeytothesea.com/aesop-illustrations/
      ----
      Laura looks at woodcut illustrations to Aesop's fables from
      1479 to explore how artists can depict the plots of stories and
      how the illustrations themselves can become part of the
      storytelling tradition.

      Games As Interactive Storytelling
      http://journeytothesea.com/games-storytelling/
      ----
      Alana looks at how role-playing games use dice and other props to
      fulfill a human need for acts of imagination and to connect us to
      the mythic impulse of storytelling.

      Totem Poles: Myths Carved In Cedar
      http://journeytothesea.com/totem-poles/
      ----
      I explore the connection between the magnificent vertical columns
      carved in cedar by the Native Americans of the northwest Pacific
      coast and the mythical narratives they depict.

      Enjoy!
      ~randy