Obama influenced by Tolkien?

  • Mariette Knoblauch
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 26, 2008
      Or, more likely, both Obama and Tolkien were influenced by Cicero.

      In an article analyzing Obama's use of rhetoric, Charlotte Higgins points
      out his use of a series of three:

      "One of the best known of Cicero's techniques is his use of series of three
      to emphasise points: the tricolon. (The most enduring example of a Latin
      tricolon is not Cicero's, but Caesar's "Veni, vidi, vici" - I came, I saw, I
      conquered.) Obama uses tricola freely. Here's an example: "Tonight, we
      gather to affirm the greatness of our nation, not because of the height of
      our skyscrapers, or the power of our military, or the size of our economy
      ..." In this passage, from the 2004 Democratic convention speech, Obama is
      also using the technique of "praeteritio" - drawing attention to a subject
      by not discussing it. (He is discounting the height of America's skyscrapers
      etc, but in so doing reminds us of their importance.)"

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/nov/26/barack-obama-usa1

      This reminded me, not of Cicero, but of Faramir's great speech:

      "but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its
      swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they
      defend�"

      Obama reportedly is a fan of Spider-Man, but I have not heard if he likes
      Tolkien.

      He seems so well read that it would be surprising if he hadn't read the Lord
      of the Rings.

      Mariette

    • Larry Swain
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 26, 2008
        Passages in the Bible in particular are well known for their use of three; certain Psalms use a triple intensification in verses, the gospel of Matthew has multiple, complex layers of 3s; the creation story has 2 sets of 3. More likely a common heritage and influence on Tolkien and Obama than a direct influenced or imitation by Obama of Tolkien.

        Larry Swain