Mythcon Guests of Honor; Gothic fiction

  • Joe Christopher
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 1999
      >> My own forays into fantasy include authors such as Jane Yolen, Charles
      DeLint, and
      >> Tanith Lee..

      Both Jane Yolen and Charles DeLint have been Guests of Honor at Mythcons in
      the past. I enjoy Tanith Lee's works (when, of course, I find time to read
      them)--but then I subscribe to _Weird Tales_, and for that matter I edited a
      collection of essays on Dark Fantasy in the latest issue of _Niekas_ (a
      fanzine listed in _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_). It's true that
      the Mythopoeic Society does not tend toward the Gothic, despite some of
      Charles Williams' novels, Lewis's _That Hideous Strength_, and some vampires
      in Tolkien's Middle-earth; but there is nothing in our by-laws against such
      an emphasis. It's just that there are other groups that stress Dark Fantasy
      more--and more exclusively. One of the best, if little known, vampiric
      short stories--one that would be quite acceptable to Lewis fans in the
      Mythopoeic Society--is James S. Hart's "The Traitor" (_The Magazine of
      Fantasy and Science Fiction_, Fall 1950).

      --Joe