Re: [mythsoc] Re: On Tolkien: Interviews, Reminiscences, and Other Essays

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 21, 2008
      > Does anyone know what is causing the continuing delay with
      > the release of Douglas Anderson's On Tolkien: Interviews,
      > Reminiscences, and Other Essays? Amazon originally listed it
      > in 2006 (when I of course immediately signed up to order a
      > copy) yet the publication date continued to be pushed off.
      > Amazon UK now lists a January 2009 date. Amazon US has
      > a used copy listed at $200! I was just hoping someone
      > knew what the actual story was behind the book.

      Say what?! I just checked Amazon and saw the same thing you did, but they can't have a copy of a book not yet released! I don't even think it could be an Advance Reader's Copy. So far as I know, the book has still not been finalized. On top of all that, the price is ridiculous. I'm mighty curious what this seller is up to.

      Is this not incredibly bizarre? I sent Doug a note about it, in case he didn't know. I aslo wrote to the seller asking them how it is that they have a used copy of a book that has not been released yet. It will be interesting to see if I get a response.

      doug

    • Diane Joy
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 22, 2008
        Hmm...maybe the seller has a time turner? Mmmm--maybe not.

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 22, 2008
          Notify Amazon, not the seller. It appears that the seller is a scam artist.
          He hardly cares what you think. On the other hand, you can persuade Amazon
          to quit dealing with this scam artist.

          Wendell Wagner

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 24, 2008
            I didn't hear anything back from the seller, not surprisingly, but Amazon is
            no longer listing the 'used' copy. So either the seller realized that the
            gig was up, or they realized that they themselves were getting scammed.
            Either way, at least the misleading information is no longer being
            propogated.

            Doug

          • sackvillebaggins
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 25, 2008
              Well, hopefully the January 2009 date for actual release is going to
              stick. Not only am I excited for the book itself but for the promised
              audio book. That too is listed but as Out of Print.