Re: On Tolkien: Interviews, Reminiscences, and Other Essays

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 21, 2008
      > Does anyone know what is causing the continuing delay with
      > the release of Douglas Anderson's On Tolkien: Interviews,
      > Reminiscences, and Other Essays? Amazon originally listed it
      > in 2006 (when I of course immediately signed up to order a
      > copy) yet the publication date continued to be pushed off.
      > Amazon UK now lists a January 2009 date. Amazon US has
      > a used copy listed at $200! I was just hoping someone
      > knew what the actual story was behind the book.

      Say what?! I just checked Amazon and saw the same thing you did, but they can't have a copy of a book not yet released! I don't even think it could be an Advance Reader's Copy. So far as I know, the book has still not been finalized. On top of all that, the price is ridiculous. I'm mighty curious what this seller is up to.
    • Doug Kane
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 21, 2008
        The listed seller is called International Books. They claim they specialize in making difficult to find texts available, but this is ridiculous. As far as I know, as Jason said, the book isn't even completed. So either this is an error, or a fraud.

        Doug (Kane, not Andersen)

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 21, 2008
          > Does anyone know what is causing the continuing delay with
          > the release of Douglas Anderson's On Tolkien: Interviews,
          > Reminiscences, and Other Essays? Amazon originally listed it
          > in 2006 (when I of course immediately signed up to order a
          > copy) yet the publication date continued to be pushed off.
          > Amazon UK now lists a January 2009 date. Amazon US has
          > a used copy listed at $200! I was just hoping someone
          > knew what the actual story was behind the book.

          Say what?! I just checked Amazon and saw the same thing you did, but they can't have a copy of a book not yet released! I don't even think it could be an Advance Reader's Copy. So far as I know, the book has still not been finalized. On top of all that, the price is ridiculous. I'm mighty curious what this seller is up to.

          Is this not incredibly bizarre? I sent Doug a note about it, in case he didn't know. I aslo wrote to the seller asking them how it is that they have a used copy of a book that has not been released yet. It will be interesting to see if I get a response.

          doug

        • Diane Joy
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 22, 2008
            Hmm...maybe the seller has a time turner? Mmmm--maybe not.

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 22, 2008
              Notify Amazon, not the seller. It appears that the seller is a scam artist.
              He hardly cares what you think. On the other hand, you can persuade Amazon
              to quit dealing with this scam artist.

              Wendell Wagner

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 24, 2008
                I didn't hear anything back from the seller, not surprisingly, but Amazon is
                no longer listing the 'used' copy. So either the seller realized that the
                gig was up, or they realized that they themselves were getting scammed.
                Either way, at least the misleading information is no longer being
                propogated.

                Doug

              • sackvillebaggins
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 25, 2008
                  Well, hopefully the January 2009 date for actual release is going to
                  stick. Not only am I excited for the book itself but for the promised
                  audio book. That too is listed but as Out of Print.