On Tolkien: Interviews, Reminiscences, and Other Essays

  • sackvillebaggins
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 21, 2008
      Does anyone know what is causing the continuing delay with the release
      of Douglas Anderson's On Tolkien: Interviews, Reminiscences, and Other
      Essays? Amazon originally listed it in 2006 (when I of course
      immediately signed up to order a copy) yet the publication date
      continued to be pushed off. Amazon UK now lists a January 2009 date.
      Amazon US has a used copy listed at $200! I was just hoping someone
      knew what the actual story was behind the book.
      Thanks,
      Daniel
    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 21, 2008
        > Does anyone know what is causing the continuing delay with
        > the release of Douglas Anderson's On Tolkien: Interviews,
        > Reminiscences, and Other Essays? Amazon originally listed it
        > in 2006 (when I of course immediately signed up to order a
        > copy) yet the publication date continued to be pushed off.
        > Amazon UK now lists a January 2009 date. Amazon US has
        > a used copy listed at $200! I was just hoping someone
        > knew what the actual story was behind the book.

        Say what?! I just checked Amazon and saw the same thing you did, but they can't have a copy of a book not yet released! I don't even think it could be an Advance Reader's Copy. So far as I know, the book has still not been finalized. On top of all that, the price is ridiculous. I'm mighty curious what this seller is up to.
      • Doug Kane
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 21, 2008
          The listed seller is called International Books. They claim they specialize in making difficult to find texts available, but this is ridiculous. As far as I know, as Jason said, the book isn't even completed. So either this is an error, or a fraud.

          Doug (Kane, not Andersen)

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 21, 2008
            > Does anyone know what is causing the continuing delay with
            > the release of Douglas Anderson's On Tolkien: Interviews,
            > Reminiscences, and Other Essays? Amazon originally listed it
            > in 2006 (when I of course immediately signed up to order a
            > copy) yet the publication date continued to be pushed off.
            > Amazon UK now lists a January 2009 date. Amazon US has
            > a used copy listed at $200! I was just hoping someone
            > knew what the actual story was behind the book.

            Say what?! I just checked Amazon and saw the same thing you did, but they can't have a copy of a book not yet released! I don't even think it could be an Advance Reader's Copy. So far as I know, the book has still not been finalized. On top of all that, the price is ridiculous. I'm mighty curious what this seller is up to.

            Is this not incredibly bizarre? I sent Doug a note about it, in case he didn't know. I aslo wrote to the seller asking them how it is that they have a used copy of a book that has not been released yet. It will be interesting to see if I get a response.

            doug

          • Diane Joy
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 22, 2008
              Hmm...maybe the seller has a time turner? Mmmm--maybe not.

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 22, 2008
                Notify Amazon, not the seller. It appears that the seller is a scam artist.
                He hardly cares what you think. On the other hand, you can persuade Amazon
                to quit dealing with this scam artist.

                Wendell Wagner

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 24, 2008
                  I didn't hear anything back from the seller, not surprisingly, but Amazon is
                  no longer listing the 'used' copy. So either the seller realized that the
                  gig was up, or they realized that they themselves were getting scammed.
                  Either way, at least the misleading information is no longer being
                  propogated.

                  Doug

                • sackvillebaggins
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 25, 2008
                    Well, hopefully the January 2009 date for actual release is going to
                    stick. Not only am I excited for the book itself but for the promised
                    audio book. That too is listed but as Out of Print.