Re: Discounted Tolkien

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2008
      ---David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
      << I thought the blurbs were interesting.
      The 3-volume blurb reads, "The Lord of the Rings is often erroneously
      called a trilogy, when in fact it is a single novel, consisting of six
      books plus appendices, sometimes published in three volumes, as here.
      Concerns the adventures of Frodo Baggins and his elderly cousin Bilbo,
      as they are entrusted with the Ring."
      I like the first sentence of this, which is of an informative accuracy
      not generally expected in remainder book catalogs. >>

      That first helpful sentence is copied almost verbatim from the first
      sentence of Douglas A. Anderson's "Note on the Text" for LOTR (at least
      as that note appears in my 2005 one-volume paperback), which reads:

      "J.R.R. Tolkien's _The Lord of the Rings_ is often erroneously called a
      trilogy, when it is in fact a single novel, consisting of six books
      plus appendices, sometimes published in three volumes."

      -Merlin DeTardo