Re: [mythsoc] PERILOUS REALMS

  • Matt Wirkkala
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
      CIL...
      -mwirkk
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: John D Rateliff; Sent: Wed, Nov 12, 2008 9:26 PM
      > I'm not overly fond of the Rob Inglis performance, which I find a
      > little flat, but since it's the only unabridged recording of LotR
      > there is, I'm grateful to have it (though I keep hoping someone else
      > who sounds more like Christopher Tolkien or JRRT will re-record it).

      [mwirkk] I have to agree for the most part, with respect to LotR. I thought
      Rob was much more suited to The Hobbit, as he set a nice, granfatherly,
      bedtime storybook tone. I'd really like to hear CT do the LotR. Or just
      about anything else. I really like his style. Though, I must admit, I'm not
      sure he'd be the best fit for the lighter stuff - he does "dire" so well, as
      does Mr.Lee. I would have loved to have heard JRR recite The Hobbit entire!
      And LotR too. It would have really been something to have been the
      proverbial fly on the wall at those Inklings meetings, eh?

      > Does anyone here know if OFS, LBN, FGH, ATB, or THE MONSTERS AND
      > THE CRITICS have ever been recorded as audiobooks (that is, straight
      > readings as opposed to dramatizations)? It's kind of odd that you can
      > get ROVERANDOM, LETTERS FROM FATHER CHRISTMAS, and Tolkien's
      > translations of SGGK, SIR ORFEO, and PEARL but not those old favorites.

      [mwirkk] For reciting the Anglo-saxon translations I might suggest Seamus
      Heaney to be a worthy nominee. (Has anyone compared his translation of
      Beowulf to Kennedy's? I was much struck by their similarities, when compared
      with just about every other I'd ever seen. // Wish SH would've made the
      recording of his trans. unabridged.)
      For untranslated versions of the poems I think someone like Michael Drout
      (Wheaton) could do an impressive job of it. Though, I am not really well
      accustomed to O.E. in its spoken form. It's beautiful to listen to. But the
      written text is still much more easily desiferable for me. It's as if when I
      listen with the text in front of me they are two completely different
      languages.

      -Matt in Seattle (mwirkk)