Re: [mythsoc] Re: re. Star over Mordor

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 13, 2008
      Lynne Maudlin wrote:

      > Not to answer for John, but don't you think that's a fairly human
      > response? In a time of trouble and uncertainty to look up and see the
      > stars as timeless (well, *more* timeless than we are) and therefore a
      > sign of hope, of endurance?

      I do think it is a fairly human response. At the same time, the scene in the film as described by John has a remarkably similar feel to the scene in LOTR. It does seem fairly remarkable to me that two such similar scenes would be developed independantly in two such different works within a relatively short period of time. Not impossible, but unlikely. Which is why I asked whether John had any information that further supported the idea that Tolkien had actually seen the film and had been influenced by it (being the knowledgable guy that he is). But, of course, he has already answered that question.

      Doug