Re: [mythsoc] re. Star over Mordor

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 12, 2008
      On Nov 12, 2008, at 2:37 PM, Doug Kane wrote:
      > John, I'm curious to know whether you are basing your supposition
      > that this scene in that classic film might have been a direct
      > inspiration for Tolkien's writing that sequence purely on the
      > extreme similarlity between the two scenes, or whether you have any
      > indication that Tolkien actually saw/was impressed by the film?

      I don't have any external evidence that Tolkien ever saw the Chaplin
      film. It's definitely possible, and I'd argue it's v. probable, given
      the similarity between the scenes. If so, it's a good example of
      Tolkien's ability to pull details out of unlikely sources.
      --JDR
    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 13, 2008
        In a funny little piece of self-foot-shooting, I failed to post this
        to the list yesterday:

        Not to answer for John, but don't you think that's a fairly human
        response? In a time of trouble and uncertainty to look up and see the
        stars as timeless (well, *more* timeless than we are) and therefore a
        sign of hope, of endurance?

        -- Lynn --

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Kane" <dougkane@...> wrote:

        > John D. Rateliff wrote:
        >
        > > Another strong parallel, and possible direct inspiration, for Sam's
        > > seeing the Star over Mordor comes in Charlie Chaplin's THE GREAT
        > > DICTATOR [1940], which includes a scene in which the barber (Chaplin)
        > > and the girl hide on a roof top from storm troopers, see a star in
        > > the sky high above, and think about how its permanence and purity
        > > will outlast even Hitler's reich. Unfortunately, it's been too long
        > > since I've seen the film to be able to give any details.
        >
        > John, I'm curious to know whether you are basing your supposition
        that this scene in that classic film might have been a direct
        inspiration for Tolkien's writing that sequence purely on the extreme
        similarlity between the two scenes, or whether you have any indication
        that Tolkien actually saw/was impressed by the film?

        > Doug

      • Doug Kane
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 13, 2008
          Lynne Maudlin wrote:

          > Not to answer for John, but don't you think that's a fairly human
          > response? In a time of trouble and uncertainty to look up and see the
          > stars as timeless (well, *more* timeless than we are) and therefore a
          > sign of hope, of endurance?

          I do think it is a fairly human response. At the same time, the scene in the film as described by John has a remarkably similar feel to the scene in LOTR. It does seem fairly remarkable to me that two such similar scenes would be developed independantly in two such different works within a relatively short period of time. Not impossible, but unlikely. Which is why I asked whether John had any information that further supported the idea that Tolkien had actually seen the film and had been influenced by it (being the knowledgable guy that he is). But, of course, he has already answered that question.

          Doug