Re: [mythsoc] Interesting item in an article in _The Washington Post_

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 29 4:42 PM
      In a message dated 7/29/00 10:06:14 AM Central Daylight Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:

      > (from August 8, 1947).

      Is it August? I thought it was September. I turned it up last year and read
      it with interest in the long, long collection of bound volumes of TIME which
      my library possesses, and made a photocopy for someone (I forget who). There
      must be other libraries which have it. But obviously if one has any
      allegiance to Lewis and his ethics, one does not steal from the public
      library.

      So, basically, I don't have a clue how anyone else would obtain one, to have
      as their own, sorry.

      Mary S
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 29 4:56 PM
        In a message dated 7/29/00 7:42:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        << Is it August? I thought it was September. >>

        Yes, you're right.

        Incidentally, I found a soft copy of the article on the web at

        http://www.apologetics.org/articles/cslewis.html

        I wasn't interested in getting it to read it. I was just interested in
        knowing how hard it was to find the real paper version of it. (Do you
        remember paper? It's that old-fashioned stuff we had to use before they
        invented computers.)

        Wendell
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 29 5:26 PM
          Perhaps the most likely source would be an early-days Lewis fan who bought
          the thing back in 1947, or thereafter from a used-book dealer, and kept it
          carefully, then died fairly recently and had his (or her) library go on the
          market.

          I noticed that only the cover was mentioned - could imagine some fan (as
          above) framing the cover separately.

          Wasn't it one of Artzybasheff's delightful paintings?

          Mary S
        • LSolarion@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 31 7:13 PM
            In a message dated 07/29/2000 8:06:14 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
            WendellWag@... writes:

            << I've been reading and collecting Lewis for over twenty-five years and I've
            never seen that issue of _Time_ (from August 8, 1947). I checked on E-bay
            and abebooks.com and they don't have any copies. Have any of you seen that
            issue? >>

            In one of my many books about Lewis -- a biography, I think; I'll have to
            look it up tomorrow -- a picture of the cover is reproduced. They wouldn't
            need the actual issue, all they'd have to do was enlarge the illustration
            from the book.

            Steve
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 31 7:23 PM
              I don't think that would work. First, it wouldn't reproduce well. Second,
              it wouldn't be very interesting. I can't imagine anyone thinking that a
              reproduction of the cover would be an important addition to their collection.

              I've just E-mailed the magazine collectors' service mentioned in Stephen's
              post and asked them how much the magazine with the Lewis cover would cost.
              The website says prices start at $17, but some highly desired issues may cost
              more.

              Wendell
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
                The magazine collectors' service tells me that the C. S. Lewis cover issue of
                _Time_ is sold out.

                Wendell Wagner
              • Trudy Shaw
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
                  Of course, GWB probably didn't say to an assistant, "Find me a copy of the
                  August 8, 1947, TIME." More likely, it was closer to, "Find me something
                  old and kind of impressive with a picture of C.S. Lewis." That would change
                  the odds quite a bit.

                  -- Trudy Shaw

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
                    My supposition was that Bush said to George Wead (the aide who was mentioned
                    in the news story and who was apparently at the meeting), "What can we get
                    this guy so that he will remember our meeting?" Wead says, "Well, I was
                    taking notes, and he did mention C. S. Lewis . . ." Come to think of it,
                    perhaps the guy even mentioned that he was looking for the C. S. Lewis cover.

                    Wendell
                  • Stolzi@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
                      I looked up the article again today while at the library.

                      It IS September 8, 1947, NOT August.

                      The Artzybasheff painting is really charming. It is in full color, with a
                      large grey devil of rather comical cast, a la gargoyle, at the right (Lewis'
                      left) and only part of a more colorful angel (halo, wing, shoulder) showing
                      on the other side. CSL himself looks right-down handsome (but recognizable),
                      and has brown hair, sparkling warm brown eyes, and a brown or perhaps tweed
                      jacket. Coincidentally, the lettercol of the week leads off with high praise
                      for another Artzybasheff cover. I wonder where A's originals went...

                      The article itself is long and thorough and quite good, with only one obvious
                      error which is repeated in a subtitle: referring to a resurrected Lord who
                      ate "boiled fish." Gag! =Broiled=, please. (Luke 24:42) The error is not
                      Lewis', I am sure.
                      And only one TIME-ism that I noted. The magazine was known back then for its
                      "snappy" word coinages (most of them pretty ghastly) and in this article it
                      says that Lewis "has given up radiorating." (radio - orating, blech)

                      Illustrations include "God," by Wm Blake; "Screwtape," by Lewis; and
                      portraits of major influences MacDonald and Williams.

                      There's an interesting little paragraph about the household w/ Mrs Moore
                      which keeps things very sketchy except to say that intimates know she is not
                      really his "mother."

                      A small b&w version of the cover is at <A
                      HREF="http://geocities.yahoo.com/toto?s=76000019">http://geocities.yahoo.com/t
                      oto?s=76000019</A> but in no way does it justice.

                      Here's the article: <A
                      HREF="http://www.apologetics.org/articles/cslewis.html">Apologetics: C. S.
                      Lewis in Time Magazine</A> I wish I knew who wrote it.

                      And here's a piece on Artzybasheff, but alas, w/o the Lewis painting: <A
                      HREF="http://www.bpib.com/artzybas.htm">Boris Artzybasheff Biography</A>

                      Mary S
                    • Ted Sherman
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
                        I've seen the Time cover in question and, in fact, have photocopied it (though i
                        don't know where the copy is).

                        Ted

                        PS: Try a large university library that has bound copies of Time.

                        WendellWag@... wrote:

                        > There's an article in _The Washington Post_ (July 24th, page A7) about George
                        > W. Bush's (and his campaign advisors') attempts to speak to the evangelical
                        > communty. He was introduced by one aide, George Wead, to many evangelic
                        > leaders. He made attempts to stay in touch with some of them and, among
                        > other things, "he dug up an old Time magazine cover of author C. S. Lewis,
                        > the evangelicals' leterary favorite, to send to a Wheaton College professor
                        > he had met with."
                        >
                        > DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL ARGUMENT.
                        > DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL ARGUMENT.
                        > DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL ARGUMENT.
                        >
                        > My question is "How difficult would this be?"
                        >
                        > I've been reading and collecting Lewis for over twenty-five years and I've
                        > never seen that issue of _Time_ (from August 8, 1947). I checked on E-bay
                        > and abebooks.com and they don't have any copies. Have any of you seen that
                        > issue? Do any of you own it? Is there any way that someone could obtain it
                        > (particularly someone who had not previously been a Lewis collector) except
                        > by paying a dealer for a extensive (and expensive) search.
                        >
                        > Wendell Wagner

                        Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
                        Mythopoeic Literature
                        Box X041, Department of English
                        Middle Tennessee State University
                        Murfreesboro, TN 37132
                        615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
                        tsherman@...
                        tedsherman@...
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
                          O.K., once again: I've seen the cover in pictures in books. I have no
                          interest in seeing it again. I can read the article if I want online. I'll
                          do that eventually, but I'm not in a hurry. I didn't want to find the
                          magazine myself. I just wanted to know, if someone wanted to give someone
                          else a copy of the magazine, how hard it would be to find a copy. Could one
                          just "dig up" a copy, or would it take an extensive and expensive search?

                          Wendell
                        • David S. Bratman
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 2, 2000
                            On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 Stolzi@... wrote:

                            > And only one TIME-ism that I noted. The magazine was known back then for its
                            > "snappy" word coinages (most of them pretty ghastly) and in this article it
                            > says that Lewis "has given up radiorating." (radio - orating, blech)

                            For some reason I read "radiorating" as a variant of "rotating", and
                            imagine Lewis spinning in place. No wonder he gave it up.

                            Time-ese was, thank goodness, already dying out by 1947. It was a bizarre
                            dialect, vaguely based on the abbreviated language called "telegraphese"
                            which journalists used to master to save on by-the-word charges when
                            sending dispatches by telegram back to the office. Some newspapers and
                            magazines would print the dispatches that way, and the style became
                            associated with "snappy" journalism. Time - founded in 1923, the height
                            of the "Front Page" era - then took it up deliberately, even when it
                            wasn't economically necessary.

                            Time-ese had a peculiar grammar as well as an abbreviated vocabulary. My
                            favorite example comes from an article about Time which The New Yorker
                            published in the mid-30s: the content was utterly straight, but the
                            article was written _in_ a parody of Time-ese. This was their
                            description of Time-ese itself: "Backward ran sentences until reeled the
                            mind."

                            This type of writing, and its companion of sloppy thinking, probably
                            contributed more to Lewis's dislike of journalism than the personal
                            intrusiveness which is more characteristic of journalism today than it was
                            then. (There were other factors as well, of course.) I do not recall
                            reading anything about why Lewis consented to be profiled by Time, or his
                            reaction to the result: though words like "radiorator" would make the
                            lowliest English teacher's teeth ache, let alone Lewis's.

                            But I am fond of Tolkien's comment on the occasion of a newspaper
                            columnist calling CSL "Ascetic Mr. Lewis." Tolkien said "I ask you! He
                            put away three pints in a very short session we had this morning, and said
                            he was 'going short for Lent.'" (Tolkien's Letters, no. 56)

                            David Bratman
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
                              Here's the letter I've just sent to The Washington Post:

                              To the editors:

                              In an article on page A7 of the July 24, 2000 issue, you write that as a
                              memento of a meeting, George W. Bush "dug up" and sent to a Wheaton College
                              professor a copy of a Time magazine cover showing C. S. Lewis. My first
                              reaction was that it's impossible to just casually dig up this issue (which
                              is from September 8, 1947). In over twenty-five years of reading and
                              casually collecting Lewis's works, I've never seen a copy of it. It's not
                              that the issue is really rare. Lots of libraries have complete sets of Time
                              magazine, but I'll assume that Bush didn't steal the copy from a library.
                              It's not the sort of thing that can be found by casually searching used
                              bookstores though, and I assumed that it would take paying a dealer to do an
                              extensive (and rather expensive) search if one wanted a copy.

                              I asked people on an E-mail mailing list I belong to just how hard it would
                              be to find this issue. To my surprise, one person was able to suggest a
                              fairly simple way to obtain a copy. He did a search on the Internet on
                              dealers of used Time magazines. He found quite a few of them and E-mailed
                              them all asking if they had the issue. Several of them did, and he was able
                              to buy a copy for only four dollars. So I conclude that it's not that
                              difficult to obtain the issue with the C. S. Lewis cover now that we have the
                              Internet. But then, we have Al Gore to thank for that, right?

                              Sincerely,
                              Wendell Wagner, Jr.

                              Anyway, I won't be leaving till the 13th, but for those who are leaving this
                              week, have a nice trip and I'll see you at Mythcon.
                            • Ted Sherman
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
                                Uh, Wendell, what's the point?

                                Ted

                                PS: I won't be at MythCon this year--don't want to get too near the Cracks of
                                Doom!

                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
                                  tedsherman@... writes:

                                  << Uh, Wendell, what's the point? >>