Re: [mythsoc] PERILOUS REALMS

  • Matt Wirkkala
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 10, 2008
      I have not seen this book yet on my local store shelves, but I did see the
      audio edition (from Recorded Books LLC/BBC Audiobooks America) at one of the
      many Barnes&Noble's in my area, so I purchased a copy.

      I found that rather than being a straight reading of the book, like JDR
      described it below, as I had expected, it is actually a collection of
      dramatizations of four of the tales on 3 CD's.

      - Disc 1: Farmer Giles of Ham
      - Disc 2: The Smith of Wootton Major; Leaf by Niggle
      - Disc 3: The Adventures of Tom Bombadil

      The set is described as "unabridged", but it does not include Roverandom at
      all.

      The Adventures of Tom Bombadil in the CD collection is NOT the collection of
      16 poems like might be expected (e.g. as presented in the Tolkien Reader),
      but rather is merely a condensed dramatization lifted from FotR of the time
      the hobbits enter the Old Forest until Tom sees them safe beyond the
      Barrow-downs.

      Both the Amazon and B&N sites used the same editorial blurb to describe the
      book. Infact, the description of the audio book used on both (US) sites is
      the same as for the printed book version, which is quite incorrect, of
      course.

      I don't know yet what other differences there might be, apart from the art,
      obviously. ;)

      Anyway, as was said, all the stories in the audio edition are dramatizations
      and not verbatum narrative readings. So don't be disappointed (as I was) if
      it's not quite what was expected.

      Cheers! Kiitos!!
      -Matt in Seattle (mwirkk)

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 10, 2008
        Hi Matt
        Actually, the audiobook called "TALES FROM THE PERILOUS REALM",
        which I have on two cassettes, is entirely distinct from the new Alan
        Lee illustrated book, although they share a title and most of the
        contents overlap. The full-cast audio adaptations, which are rather
        fun if not outstanding, were done back in 1993 from scripts by Brian
        Sibley. I think it's mainly notable for containing what could be
        thought of as an extended "out-take" from the 1981 BBC LotR
        adaptation, since the piece here called "The Adventures of Tom
        Bombadil" is not in fact a reading of the poems but instead the
        Bombadil chapters from LotR done in a style whereby they could have
        been inserted as an extra episode or two of the radio series.
        I suppose it's time I started replacing all my Tolkien on Tape
        with Tolkien on cd. Bother. Thanks for reminding us about the
        dramatizations.
        Yrs,
        John in Seattle

        On Nov 10, 2008, at 7:25 PM, Matt Wirkkala wrote:
        > I have not seen this book yet on my local store shelves, but I did
        > see the
        > audio edition (from Recorded Books LLC/BBC Audiobooks America) at
        > one of the
        > many Barnes&Noble's in my area, so I purchased a copy.
        >
        > I found that rather than being a straight reading of the book, like
        > JDR
        > described it below, as I had expected, it is actually a collection of
        > dramatizations of four of the tales on 3 CD's.
        >
        > - Disc 1: Farmer Giles of Ham
        > - Disc 2: The Smith of Wootton Major; Leaf by Niggle
        > - Disc 3: The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
        >
        > The set is described as "unabridged", but it does not include
        > Roverandom at
        > all.
        >
        > The Adventures of Tom Bombadil in the CD collection is NOT the
        > collection of
        > 16 poems like might be expected (e.g. as presented in the Tolkien
        > Reader),
        > but rather is merely a condensed dramatization lifted from FotR of
        > the time
        > the hobbits enter the Old Forest until Tom sees them safe beyond the
        > Barrow-downs.
        >
        > Both the Amazon and B&N sites used the same editorial blurb to
        > describe the
        > book. Infact, the description of the audio book used on both (US)
        > sites is
        > the same as for the printed book version, which is quite incorrect, of
        > course.
        >
        > I don't know yet what other differences there might be, apart from
        > the art,
        > obviously. ;)
        >
        > Anyway, as was said, all the stories in the audio edition are
        > dramatizations
        > and not verbatum narrative readings. So don't be disappointed (as I
        > was) if
        > it's not quite what was expected.
        >
        > Cheers! Kiitos!!
        > -Matt in Seattle (mwirkk)
      • Matt Wirkkala
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 12, 2008
          Hi John!

          Thanks for clarifying this for me! Once you mentioned them, and I took another look at it, the details seem to jump right off the packageing at me. Well, maybe not jump - I had to get a magnifying glass to read some of it. ;P I see the BBC copyright was originally 1993, and then again in 2002. Yesterday I found an old copy of a stand-alone BBC recording of the very same Tom Bombadil in my collection, too -- I thought maybe I'd heard it before! (I already had the others too, also on cassette.)

          Anyway, I still think it's kind of sneaky marketing. Primarily because I'd gotten taken in by it, probably. But also since online its contents were being misrepresented somewhat as being like the book. I'd first heard about it in e-mail as a suggested addition for my Amazon Wish-List. 'Picked it up the next day from the Bellevue B&N strictly on impulse -- I was actually just looking for the book to see what it looked like, but they didn't have it. Still, I enjoyed listening to the CD's while riding the bus to work and back, so I can't complain too loudly. :)

          While I have just about every Tolkien-related book I could get my grubby hands on (incl. HotH), I really do enjoy a good recording as well. Sometimes someone else reading can allow me to think about things differently than listening to my own internal dialog might. Of course, some things may be missed that way as well. But listening to a narrator, especially one who has really mastered the material, can certainly give a different persective. I like Rob Inglis very well, of course. (Not only did I enjoy his recordings, but I was able to pass them along to a young nephew of mine who had read The Hobbit, but was too daunted by the size of LotR to take it on. After starting him out with the recordings he was soon reading the book in parallel too. Now he just eats it all up!) I very much liked Martin Shaw's readings of the Silmarillion (Random House). I had originally hoped Christopher Tolkien would do a recording of them. I really liked his selected readings from the Sil on the "JRR Tolkien Audio Collection" (CD and cassette, Caedmon), he has a cadence that drives the narrative forward. But Martin does a fine job - I think he'd do a nice job with much of the Old Testiment as well. I was estatic when I found that the audio edition of CoH included not just a wonderful performance of the main text by Christopher Lee, but also an hour-long introduction read by CT! A few others I'd like to see... I like Sibley's narrative style. I think Simon Winchester could do a very good job with Tolkienalia too. I like Simon Prebble's work, esp. the audio edition of "Jonnathan Strange and Mr. Norrel" and parts of "The Ladies of Grace Adieu". I could definately see him doing THE PERILOUS REALM.

          Okay, so I've gone off on a wild tangent already. Might as well go all the way and try for a fractal spin-offs too... Before I saw what PJ and Serkis ultimately did with Gollum (from tTT onward, because from FotR I really didn't have any idea how the character was going to be treated), I sort of had this idea that if a Hobbit movie was ever made they could actually remaster JRR's old recordings of Riddles in the Dark and have him star as the voice of Gollum, postumously. It was a crazy idea, I realize. It would have presented plenty of continuity problems meshing with anything that went beyond that (apart from the legal rodeo). I'm happy that Andy's performance was somewhat similar, and I feel certain that he must have gotten his inspiration from listening to JRR's interpretations. I had a similar idea that Douglas Adams could have done the voice of his character Marvin the paranoid android, after his death, when rumour got out that a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy movie was finally getting traction and they were going to use DA's origional screenplay for the most part. Afterall, Douglas had already narrated the entire series of books himself, and did a great job of capturing Marvin's morose character. Alan Rickman wasn't a bad choice by any means. But I think Douglas would have really liked the idea, and no one could have done it better than he did. Oh well.

          Well, that's enough spewage from me. I've sullied this list enough for the prersent. Please slap me if I've gone too far off track. ;)

          Thx! Cheers! Kiitos!!
          -Matt in Seattle (Mercer Island, actually)

          Btw- What I said about TotPR involving Recorded Books LLC ... NOT true! That's my bad. I was confusing it with another audio book I'd recently "read" in the past few days. <8\

          Also, how many on this list have read the Kalevala? I knew a bit of Finn when I was just a kid, but just a bit. And I've forgotten practically all of it now. So I've had to read it in English translation. Thx! Kiitos!!

          Actually, the audiobook called "TALES FROM THE PERILOUS REALM",
          which I have on two cassettes, is entirely distinct from the new Alan
          Lee illustrated book, although they share a title and most of the
          contents overlap. The full-cast audio adaptations, which are rather
          fun if not outstanding, were done back in 1993 from scripts by Brian
          Sibley. I think it's mainly notable for containing what could be
          thought of as an extended "out-take" from the 1981 BBC LotR
          adaptation, since the piece here called "The Adventures of Tom
          Bombadil" is not in fact a reading of the poems but instead the
          Bombadil chapters from LotR done in a style whereby they could have
          been inserted as an extra episode or two of the radio series.
          I suppose it's time I started replacing all my Tolkien on Tape
          with Tolkien on cd. Bother. Thanks for reminding us about the
          dramatizations.
          Yrs,
          John in Seattle

          On Nov 10, 2008, at 7:25 PM, Matt Wirkkala wrote:
          > I have not seen this book yet on my local store shelves, but I did
          > see the
          > audio edition (from Recorded Books LLC/BBC Audiobooks America) at
          > one of the
          > many Barnes&Noble's in my area, so I purchased a copy.
          >
          > I found that rather than being a straight reading of the book, like
          > JDR
          > described it below, as I had expected, it is actually a collection of
          > dramatizations of four of the tales on 3 CD's.
          >
          > - Disc 1: Farmer Giles of Ham
          > - Disc 2: The Smith of Wootton Major; Leaf by Niggle
          > - Disc 3: The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
          >
          > The set is described as "unabridged", but it does not include
          > Roverandom at
          > all.
          >
          > The Adventures of Tom Bombadil in the CD collection is NOT the
          > collection of
          > 16 poems like might be expected (e.g. as presented in the Tolkien
          > Reader),
          > but rather is merely a condensed dramatization lifted from FotR of
          > the time
          > the hobbits enter the Old Forest until Tom sees them safe beyond the
          > Barrow-downs.
          >
          > Both the Amazon and B&N sites used the same editorial blurb to
          > describe the
          > book. Infact, the description of the audio book used on both (US)
          > sites is
          > the same as for the printed book version, which is quite incorrect, of
          > course.
          >
          > I don't know yet what other differences there might be, apart from
          > the art,
          > obviously. ;)
          >
          > Anyway, as was said, all the stories in the audio edition are
          > dramatizations
          > and not verbatum narrative readings. So don't be disappointed (as I
          > was) if
          > it's not quite what was expected.
          >
          > Cheers! Kiitos!!
          > -Matt in Seattle (mwirkk)

        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 12, 2008
            Hi Matt
            I'm not overly fond of the Rob Inglis performance, which I find a
            little flat, but since it's the only unabridged recording of LotR
            there is, I'm grateful to have it (though I keep hoping someone else
            who sounds more like Christopher Tolkien or JRRT will re-record it).
            I rate the Martin Shaw SILMARILLION pretty highly.
            Does anyone here know if OFS, LBN, FGH, ATB, or THE MONSTERS AND
            THE CRITICS have ever been recorded as audiobooks (that is, straight
            readings as opposed to dramatizations)? It's kind of odd that you can
            get ROVERANDOM, LETTERS FROM FATHER CHRISTMAS, and Tolkien's
            translations of SGGK, SIR ORFEO, and PEARL but not those old favorites.
            I imagine a fair number of people on this list have read at least
            some of THE KALEVALA (e.g., the Kullervo section), or at least
            Hiawatha. I struggled with the old Kirby translation but at some
            point will pick up the Magoun and give it another try. Though I must
            admit I find THE MABINOGION more congenial than the Finnish myths.

            --John in Seattle (Kent, actually)

          • Matt Wirkkala
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
              CIL...