Interview with Verlyn Flieger (at Journey to the Sea)

  • hoytrand
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2008
      I started a new web site over the summer called "Journey to the Sea"
      [http://journeytothesea.com/%5d, which I describe as "an online myth
      magazine." It contains short, semi-scholarly articles on mythology,
      fantasy, fairy tales, science-fiction, and similar works of "mythic"
      literature, with three new articles appearing each month.

      The most recent issue (number five) contains an interview I conducted
      with Verlyn Flieger at Mythcon 39
      [http://journeytothesea.com/tolkien-flieger/%5d. I imagine members of
      the society would be particularly interested in this interview and
      some of the articles on the site.

      Here are brief summaries of all three articles in the current issue:

      * Tolkien, Myth, and Fantasy: Verlyn Flieger Interview
      http://journeytothesea.com/tolkien-flieger/

      Verlyn Flieger is an author, editor, and English professor
      at the University of Maryland. Randy spoke with her about J.R.R.
      Tolkien's impact on mythological studies and fantasy literature.

      * Joseph Campbell: The Hero's Journey »
      http://journeytothesea.com/campbell-hero/

      Priscilla looks at the "hero's journey" pattern as Joseph
      Campbell described it, exploring the prominent place it held in
      his writings and the psychological function he thought it could
      still fulfill in our modern world.

      * Aesop, Diogenes, Rumi: The Lamp in Daylight
      http://journeytothesea.com/lamp-in-daylight/

      Laura continues her series on religious uses of Aesopic
      material, looking at an anecdote that made its way into the
      writings of the Sufi mystical poet Rumi.

      Enjoy!
      ~randy
    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 11, 2008
        Randy, how very cool! it's lovely-- I will enjoy perusing at leisure
        {{grin}}

        -- Lynn --