Warning about Grouply

  • Marc Drayer
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20 6:25 AM
      I just saw a pitch on the list about Grouply. I urge you, DO NOT
      click on the link! It is bugged. Another I know who just clicked on
      the link had a notice from his Norton Antiviurus that five Trojan
      viruses were being downloaded into his computer. Fortunately, his
      firewall blocked them. But if one joins it, it's even worse. Here's
      the warning on it from Yahoo Groups:

      WARNING ABOUT GROUPLY.COM <http://grouply.com/>
      This is a new site which advertises they can make accessing your
      groups faster and easier. Most of us are too seasoned to fall for
      something like this, but I am posting this as CYA.

      This is what happens when you join:"First, when a member joins, it
      automatically changes their primary email address for the groups,
      giving them a @... extension. This is being done unaware to
      those who are joining.

      Secondly, members who join the grouply website are having to give
      their member ID and password. This opens up a security issue for
      those members.

      Thirdly, once a member joins grouply, it opens access to the files
      and posts of each group to the grouply website. Grouply staff can
      then access these files. If they get hacked, then it opens the doors
      to the groups getting hacked as well. It has also been reported that
      it's generating a lot of spam already.

      "In other words, information from a group can be made accessible to
      everyone, and massive amounts of spam with your email address can be

      The following information tells you the steps which needed to be
      taken if someone has joined Grouply.com <http://grouply.com/>

      There is a message going out to different Yahoo Groups advertising
      and suggesting that you join a new group called GROUPLY. This group
      claims to help manage all your Yahoo groups and you will get a
      summary, at the end of the day, telling you what is going on in all
      your groups.

      IF YOU JOIN THIS GROUP, they use your Yahoo ID and password to
      post"mass mailings" (can be junk, can be porno) and send them to
      anyone, and since it's YOUR ID they are using, others will think it
      is coming from you. For instance, you could get an email CLAIMING
      that it came from "emagic2" Yahoo group and it really is not from
      this group. I could get an email, with this mass mailing, claiming it
      came from me, and it wouldn't have been from me.

      leave Grouply. Then go into your account at:
      http://groups. yahoo.com/ mygroups
      and change your password. Some
      groups have posted that this will help. Unsubbing from that group
      won't make a difference (but I think you will want to) so change your
      Yahoo Password. By joining this group you have also exposed all your
      groups, group members and group leaders to
      hacking of their emails and group information. Because of this
      problem, all members with a email grouply.com are being removed from
      the affected groups. This is the only way to protect all the members.

      This is how Identity theft gets going. They now have your real email,
      your yahoo emails, any emails listed in your yahoo group and can mail
      as you in and out of the yahoo groups.

      I hope you understand what is happening and will take precautions to
      protect your Yahoo ID.
      Thanks;The Yahoo Team

      --- End forwarded message ---