Re: [mythsoc] Interesting item in an article in _The Washington Post_

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 29, 2000
      Yes, I've seen it in pictures in books too. My point was that I have never
      seen it in person, and I suspect that it would be extremely difficult to find
      a copy in private hands. In particular, Bush, who (whatever else he might
      be) isn't a Lewis collector, couldn't have casually "dug up" a copy of it.
      He would have had to pay some dealer a lot of money to find a copy of it.

      Wendell
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 29, 2000
        I should add that "it's not on ABE and it's not on E-bay" is emphatically
        not synonymous with "there are no copies available." This fallacy may be
        related to the one I see in college students all the time, the belief
        that all human knowledge is on the web.

        As a used book collector I also paw around in old magazine shops on
        occasion, and once on checking E-bay out decided to test it by looking up
        old magazine issues for sale. I was dismayed at how little was up there,
        and this combined with a distaste for gambling has probably saved me from
        a life of expensive indulgence on E-bay.

        As for ABE: on entering a used bookstore, and seeing how organized and
        generally fresh-looking it is, I can usually make a good guess as to
        whether its stock is online or not. Virtually every old magazine shop
        I've ever been in looks like the kind of bookstore that is _not_ online.

        Re Bush casually digging up a copy, as opposed to systematically
        searching for it and paying a lot of money, that may be a paraphrase from
        Bush's cover letter. It is customary for gifts of that sort to be given
        in a quiet and self-deprecatory context: "I just happened to dig up"
        rather than "I scoured the earth!" Now, if he were giving it to his
        wife, it would be more politic to say "I scoured the earth!" even if the
        true situation were that he just happened to dig it up. <g>
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 29, 2000
          In a message dated 7/29/00 10:06:14 AM Central Daylight Time,
          WendellWag@... writes:

          > (from August 8, 1947).

          Is it August? I thought it was September. I turned it up last year and read
          it with interest in the long, long collection of bound volumes of TIME which
          my library possesses, and made a photocopy for someone (I forget who). There
          must be other libraries which have it. But obviously if one has any
          allegiance to Lewis and his ethics, one does not steal from the public
          library.

          So, basically, I don't have a clue how anyone else would obtain one, to have
          as their own, sorry.

          Mary S
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 29, 2000
            In a message dated 7/29/00 7:42:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
            writes:

            << Is it August? I thought it was September. >>

            Yes, you're right.

            Incidentally, I found a soft copy of the article on the web at

            http://www.apologetics.org/articles/cslewis.html

            I wasn't interested in getting it to read it. I was just interested in
            knowing how hard it was to find the real paper version of it. (Do you
            remember paper? It's that old-fashioned stuff we had to use before they
            invented computers.)

            Wendell
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 29, 2000
              Perhaps the most likely source would be an early-days Lewis fan who bought
              the thing back in 1947, or thereafter from a used-book dealer, and kept it
              carefully, then died fairly recently and had his (or her) library go on the
              market.

              I noticed that only the cover was mentioned - could imagine some fan (as
              above) framing the cover separately.

              Wasn't it one of Artzybasheff's delightful paintings?

              Mary S
            • LSolarion@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 31, 2000
                In a message dated 07/29/2000 8:06:14 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                WendellWag@... writes:

                << I've been reading and collecting Lewis for over twenty-five years and I've
                never seen that issue of _Time_ (from August 8, 1947). I checked on E-bay
                and abebooks.com and they don't have any copies. Have any of you seen that
                issue? >>

                In one of my many books about Lewis -- a biography, I think; I'll have to
                look it up tomorrow -- a picture of the cover is reproduced. They wouldn't
                need the actual issue, all they'd have to do was enlarge the illustration
                from the book.

                Steve
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 31, 2000
                  I don't think that would work. First, it wouldn't reproduce well. Second,
                  it wouldn't be very interesting. I can't imagine anyone thinking that a
                  reproduction of the cover would be an important addition to their collection.

                  I've just E-mailed the magazine collectors' service mentioned in Stephen's
                  post and asked them how much the magazine with the Lewis cover would cost.
                  The website says prices start at $17, but some highly desired issues may cost
                  more.

                  Wendell
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
                    The magazine collectors' service tells me that the C. S. Lewis cover issue of
                    _Time_ is sold out.

                    Wendell Wagner
                  • Trudy Shaw
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
                      Of course, GWB probably didn't say to an assistant, "Find me a copy of the
                      August 8, 1947, TIME." More likely, it was closer to, "Find me something
                      old and kind of impressive with a picture of C.S. Lewis." That would change
                      the odds quite a bit.

                      -- Trudy Shaw

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
                        My supposition was that Bush said to George Wead (the aide who was mentioned
                        in the news story and who was apparently at the meeting), "What can we get
                        this guy so that he will remember our meeting?" Wead says, "Well, I was
                        taking notes, and he did mention C. S. Lewis . . ." Come to think of it,
                        perhaps the guy even mentioned that he was looking for the C. S. Lewis cover.

                        Wendell
                      • Stolzi@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
                          I looked up the article again today while at the library.

                          It IS September 8, 1947, NOT August.

                          The Artzybasheff painting is really charming. It is in full color, with a
                          large grey devil of rather comical cast, a la gargoyle, at the right (Lewis'
                          left) and only part of a more colorful angel (halo, wing, shoulder) showing
                          on the other side. CSL himself looks right-down handsome (but recognizable),
                          and has brown hair, sparkling warm brown eyes, and a brown or perhaps tweed
                          jacket. Coincidentally, the lettercol of the week leads off with high praise
                          for another Artzybasheff cover. I wonder where A's originals went...

                          The article itself is long and thorough and quite good, with only one obvious
                          error which is repeated in a subtitle: referring to a resurrected Lord who
                          ate "boiled fish." Gag! =Broiled=, please. (Luke 24:42) The error is not
                          Lewis', I am sure.
                          And only one TIME-ism that I noted. The magazine was known back then for its
                          "snappy" word coinages (most of them pretty ghastly) and in this article it
                          says that Lewis "has given up radiorating." (radio - orating, blech)

                          Illustrations include "God," by Wm Blake; "Screwtape," by Lewis; and
                          portraits of major influences MacDonald and Williams.

                          There's an interesting little paragraph about the household w/ Mrs Moore
                          which keeps things very sketchy except to say that intimates know she is not
                          really his "mother."

                          A small b&w version of the cover is at <A
                          HREF="http://geocities.yahoo.com/toto?s=76000019">http://geocities.yahoo.com/t
                          oto?s=76000019</A> but in no way does it justice.

                          Here's the article: <A
                          HREF="http://www.apologetics.org/articles/cslewis.html">Apologetics: C. S.
                          Lewis in Time Magazine</A> I wish I knew who wrote it.

                          And here's a piece on Artzybasheff, but alas, w/o the Lewis painting: <A
                          HREF="http://www.bpib.com/artzybas.htm">Boris Artzybasheff Biography</A>

                          Mary S
                        • Ted Sherman
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
                            I've seen the Time cover in question and, in fact, have photocopied it (though i
                            don't know where the copy is).

                            Ted

                            PS: Try a large university library that has bound copies of Time.

                            WendellWag@... wrote:

                            > There's an article in _The Washington Post_ (July 24th, page A7) about George
                            > W. Bush's (and his campaign advisors') attempts to speak to the evangelical
                            > communty. He was introduced by one aide, George Wead, to many evangelic
                            > leaders. He made attempts to stay in touch with some of them and, among
                            > other things, "he dug up an old Time magazine cover of author C. S. Lewis,
                            > the evangelicals' leterary favorite, to send to a Wheaton College professor
                            > he had met with."
                            >
                            > DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL ARGUMENT.
                            > DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL ARGUMENT.
                            > DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL ARGUMENT.
                            >
                            > My question is "How difficult would this be?"
                            >
                            > I've been reading and collecting Lewis for over twenty-five years and I've
                            > never seen that issue of _Time_ (from August 8, 1947). I checked on E-bay
                            > and abebooks.com and they don't have any copies. Have any of you seen that
                            > issue? Do any of you own it? Is there any way that someone could obtain it
                            > (particularly someone who had not previously been a Lewis collector) except
                            > by paying a dealer for a extensive (and expensive) search.
                            >
                            > Wendell Wagner

                            Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
                            Mythopoeic Literature
                            Box X041, Department of English
                            Middle Tennessee State University
                            Murfreesboro, TN 37132
                            615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
                            tsherman@...
                            tedsherman@...
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
                              O.K., once again: I've seen the cover in pictures in books. I have no
                              interest in seeing it again. I can read the article if I want online. I'll
                              do that eventually, but I'm not in a hurry. I didn't want to find the
                              magazine myself. I just wanted to know, if someone wanted to give someone
                              else a copy of the magazine, how hard it would be to find a copy. Could one
                              just "dig up" a copy, or would it take an extensive and expensive search?

                              Wendell
                            • David S. Bratman
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 2, 2000
                                On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 Stolzi@... wrote:

                                > And only one TIME-ism that I noted. The magazine was known back then for its
                                > "snappy" word coinages (most of them pretty ghastly) and in this article it
                                > says that Lewis "has given up radiorating." (radio - orating, blech)

                                For some reason I read "radiorating" as a variant of "rotating", and
                                imagine Lewis spinning in place. No wonder he gave it up.

                                Time-ese was, thank goodness, already dying out by 1947. It was a bizarre
                                dialect, vaguely based on the abbreviated language called "telegraphese"
                                which journalists used to master to save on by-the-word charges when
                                sending dispatches by telegram back to the office. Some newspapers and
                                magazines would print the dispatches that way, and the style became
                                associated with "snappy" journalism. Time - founded in 1923, the height
                                of the "Front Page" era - then took it up deliberately, even when it
                                wasn't economically necessary.

                                Time-ese had a peculiar grammar as well as an abbreviated vocabulary. My
                                favorite example comes from an article about Time which The New Yorker
                                published in the mid-30s: the content was utterly straight, but the
                                article was written _in_ a parody of Time-ese. This was their
                                description of Time-ese itself: "Backward ran sentences until reeled the
                                mind."

                                This type of writing, and its companion of sloppy thinking, probably
                                contributed more to Lewis's dislike of journalism than the personal
                                intrusiveness which is more characteristic of journalism today than it was
                                then. (There were other factors as well, of course.) I do not recall
                                reading anything about why Lewis consented to be profiled by Time, or his
                                reaction to the result: though words like "radiorator" would make the
                                lowliest English teacher's teeth ache, let alone Lewis's.

                                But I am fond of Tolkien's comment on the occasion of a newspaper
                                columnist calling CSL "Ascetic Mr. Lewis." Tolkien said "I ask you! He
                                put away three pints in a very short session we had this morning, and said
                                he was 'going short for Lent.'" (Tolkien's Letters, no. 56)

                                David Bratman
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
                                  Here's the letter I've just sent to The Washington Post:

                                  To the editors:

                                  In an article on page A7 of the July 24, 2000 issue, you write that as a
                                  memento of a meeting, George W. Bush "dug up" and sent to a Wheaton College
                                  professor a copy of a Time magazine cover showing C. S. Lewis. My first
                                  reaction was that it's impossible to just casually dig up this issue (which
                                  is from September 8, 1947). In over twenty-five years of reading and
                                  casually collecting Lewis's works, I've never seen a copy of it. It's not
                                  that the issue is really rare. Lots of libraries have complete sets of Time
                                  magazine, but I'll assume that Bush didn't steal the copy from a library.
                                  It's not the sort of thing that can be found by casually searching used
                                  bookstores though, and I assumed that it would take paying a dealer to do an
                                  extensive (and rather expensive) search if one wanted a copy.

                                  I asked people on an E-mail mailing list I belong to just how hard it would
                                  be to find this issue. To my surprise, one person was able to suggest a
                                  fairly simple way to obtain a copy. He did a search on the Internet on
                                  dealers of used Time magazines. He found quite a few of them and E-mailed
                                  them all asking if they had the issue. Several of them did, and he was able
                                  to buy a copy for only four dollars. So I conclude that it's not that
                                  difficult to obtain the issue with the C. S. Lewis cover now that we have the
                                  Internet. But then, we have Al Gore to thank for that, right?

                                  Sincerely,
                                  Wendell Wagner, Jr.

                                  Anyway, I won't be leaving till the 13th, but for those who are leaving this
                                  week, have a nice trip and I'll see you at Mythcon.
                                • Ted Sherman
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
                                    Uh, Wendell, what's the point?

                                    Ted

                                    PS: I won't be at MythCon this year--don't want to get too near the Cracks of
                                    Doom!

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
                                      tedsherman@... writes:

                                      << Uh, Wendell, what's the point? >>