Fantasy Review Sources

  • Edith Crowe
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 15, 2008
      Now that I've retired an actually have time to read, I'm wondering what
      sources people recommend to let them know about new fantasy titles that
      might be worth reading (other than *Mythprint*, of course!). I used to
      subscribe to *Locus*, and may consider doing so again, but is there anything
      more fantasy-focused that you've found to be a reliable guide? All types
      will be of interest--free or not, print or online.

      --
      Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
      The Mythopoeic Society

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 16, 2008
        I never even found Locus to be very helpful, though it is very selective
        (for perceived quality) in what it chooses to reviews and covers fantasy
        fairly well.

        The problem is that the fantasy field is so full of absolute trash that the
        reviewers tend to fall on anything that's not totally worthless and praise
        it to the skies. It's impossible for the casual reader to distinguish the
        actually pretty good from the merely only-mostly-lousy this way.

        > Now that I've retired an actually have time to read, I'm wondering what
        > sources people recommend to let them know about new fantasy titles that
        > might be worth reading (other than *Mythprint*, of course!). I used to
        > subscribe to *Locus*, and may consider doing so again, but is there
        > anything
        > more fantasy-focused that you've found to be a reliable guide? All types
        > will be of interest--free or not, print or online.
      • Lisa Padol
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 16, 2008
          > Now that I've retired an actually have time to read,
          > I'm wondering what
          > sources people recommend to let them know about new fantasy
          > titles that
          > might be worth reading (other than *Mythprint*, of
          > course!). I used to
          > subscribe to *Locus*, and may consider doing so again, but
          > is there anything
          > more fantasy-focused that you've found to be a reliable
          > guide? All types
          > will be of interest--free or not, print or online.

          Well, I tend to use the following:

          The Society's lists of finalists for the Mythopoeic Awards
          Friends' Recommendations
          Known Authors

          I don't really have a source of lists. I also go to sf conventions and get a lot of recommendations from various panels. I can email you some recommendations, if you like.

          -Lisa