RE: [mythsoc] Boxen: Childhood Chronicles Before Narnia

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
      Thanks for the information – I’ve requested a review copy for Mythlore. Nancy Patterson reviewed the first edition in 1985 in Mythlore #43. (If anyone has a particular interest in reviewing this when it comes in, please contact me off-list!)

      Janet Brennan Croft
      jbcroft@... <mailto:jbcroft@...>

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
        On Sep 30, 2008, at 4:36 PM, David Bratman wrote:
        > It appears to be an expanded edition, yes. There's a long list of
        > unpublished Boxen papers at the end of the original edition, and at
        > least some of these are in the new edition.

        Thanks David. Warnie wd be so pleased to finally have these published
        after so long -- though I agree with Gibb that they probably wouldn't
        have done well if released in the mid-sixties. I'm glad people are
        now so hungry for anything by CSL that these can slip out in the
        guise of 'pre-Narnia'. I think this makes a total of ten or eleven
        books by Warnie all told, depending on how they're counted: six
        French histories plus one edition as the seventh plus his
        contribution to EPCW as a possible eighth, with his work on LETTERS
        OF CSL (even though it didn't appear in the form he wanted), his
        diaries, and now BOXEN rounding out the whole.
        Of course if we count his unpublished set of family papers, the
        total doubles.
        Glad to hear it'll be reviewed in MYTHLORE.
        --JDR