Gandalf quote

  • al_fariis
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2008
      In the film version of "Fellowship of the Ring", during a rest in
      Moria, Gandalf says to Frodo, "All we have to do is decide what to do
      with the time that is given to us." Is this a direct quote from LOTR?
      If so, where can I find it?
      Steve Gaddis
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2008
        "Shadow of the Past", soon after Gandalf displays the Ring-inscription:

        "I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

        "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

      • aveeris523@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
          Thank you David!
          I'm going to have the quote engraved on the pocket watch my wife gave me last
          Christmas; I wanted to be sure what Prof. Tolkien wrote, and not what may
          have been "fixed" by Boyens and retinue.