Boxen: Childhood Chronicles Before Narnia

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2008
      So, is the following just a re-issue of the 1985 book (Boxen: The
      Imaginary World of the Young C. S. Lewis), or is this an expanded
      edition? I note that unlike my old copy, this one seems to give
      author credit to Warnie as well as CSL -- which is all to the good,
      but does that mean it includes more?

      Here's the link:

      http://www.amazon.com/Boxen-Childhood-Chronicles-Before-Narnia%c2%ae/dp/
      0061698334/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

      and here's another:

      http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/000726075X/
      ref=pe_3421_12867491_pe_snp_75X

      --John R.
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30, 2008
        It appears to be an expanded edition, yes. There's a long list of unpublished Boxen papers at the end of the original edition, and at least some of these are in the new edition.

        >So, is the following just a re-issue of the 1985 book (Boxen: The
        >Imaginary World of the Young C. S. Lewis), or is this an expanded
        >edition? I note that unlike my old copy, this one seems to give
        >author credit to Warnie as well as CSL -- which is all to the good,
        >but does that mean it includes more?
        >
        > Here's the link:
        >
        >http://www.amazon.com/Boxen-Childhood-Chronicles-Before-Narnia®/dp/
        >0061698334/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1
        >
        > and here's another:
        >
        >http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/000726075X/
        >ref=pe_3421_12867491_pe_snp_75X
        >
        >--John R.

      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
          Thanks for the information – I’ve requested a review copy for Mythlore. Nancy Patterson reviewed the first edition in 1985 in Mythlore #43. (If anyone has a particular interest in reviewing this when it comes in, please contact me off-list!)

          Janet Brennan Croft
          jbcroft@... <mailto:jbcroft@...>

          It appears to be an expanded edition, yes. There's a long list of unpublished Boxen papers at the end of the original edition, and at least some of these are in the new edition.

          >So, is the following just a re-issue of the 1985 book (Boxen: The
          >Imaginary World of the Young C. S. Lewis), or is this an expanded
          >edition? I note that unlike my old copy, this one seems to give
          >author credit to Warnie as well as CSL -- which is all to the good,
          >but does that mean it includes more?
          >
          > Here's the link:
          >
          >http://www.amazon.com/Boxen-Childhood-Chronicles-Before-Narnia®/dp/
          >0061698334/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1
          >
          > and here's another:
          >
          >http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/000726075X/
          >ref=pe_3421_12867491_pe_snp_75X
          >
          >--John R.

        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
            On Sep 30, 2008, at 4:36 PM, David Bratman wrote:
            > It appears to be an expanded edition, yes. There's a long list of
            > unpublished Boxen papers at the end of the original edition, and at
            > least some of these are in the new edition.

            Thanks David. Warnie wd be so pleased to finally have these published
            after so long -- though I agree with Gibb that they probably wouldn't
            have done well if released in the mid-sixties. I'm glad people are
            now so hungry for anything by CSL that these can slip out in the
            guise of 'pre-Narnia'. I think this makes a total of ten or eleven
            books by Warnie all told, depending on how they're counted: six
            French histories plus one edition as the seventh plus his
            contribution to EPCW as a possible eighth, with his work on LETTERS
            OF CSL (even though it didn't appear in the form he wanted), his
            diaries, and now BOXEN rounding out the whole.
            Of course if we count his unpublished set of family papers, the
            total doubles.
            Glad to hear it'll be reviewed in MYTHLORE.
            --JDR