music & film

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2008
      Here's an interesting article on the musical scores of science fiction films.

      <http://blogs.amctv.com/scifi-scanner/2008/09/great-scifi-soundtracks.php>

      Perhaps we could talk similarly about good scores in fantasy films.

      I would not count the LOTR films with Howard Shore or Leonard Rosenman, neither of whom I think did a particularly good job - Shore was merely competent, at least in the first movie, after which he got tired out, and Rosenman wasn't even that good.

      The first really effective score for a fantasy film that comes to my mind is Danny Elfman's eerie work for "Edward Scissorhands".

      I also note that the article refers to the James Whale "Frankenstein", which was made first, as a "prequel" to "The Bride of Frankenstein". I mention that because a while ago there were people on this list who were ready to impose everything short of capital punishment on anyone who used "prequel" that way, or even said that it could. I guess language has moved on without them.
    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 25, 2008
        >Perhaps we could talk similarly about good scores in fantasy films.

        I'm very impressed with Joe Hisaishi's scores to Miyazaki's films, especially _My Neighbor Totoro_ with its use of leitmotifs, and _Howl's Moving Castle_ with its themes-and-variations structure. Also they're very beautiful and listenable even without the visuals.

        emerdavid

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com