Re: [mythsoc] New LotR-based movie: The Hunt for Gollum

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 24, 2008
      On Sep 23, 2008, at 4:58 AM, Ellen wrote:
      > My question is this: can the filmmakers get away with blatantly
      > using Tolkien's world and characters in a movie?

      Thanks for posting the link, Ellen. News to me that any such project
      was in the works, much less that it was nearing completion.
      As for whether they can get away with this, I wdn't bet on it.
      It's one thing to post a piece of fan fiction; the Estate might be
      willing to let that pass. But a film is something else, and Tolkien
      Enterprises is famous for bringing the hammer down on anything that
      poaches on their turf. Nor are major studios like New Line inclined
      to turn a blind eye to competition in any shape or form. I think
      they've probably taken the Lovecraft independent film phenomenon as a
      model, not taking into account that Lovecraft's work is out of
      copyright. Then too, the $30 donation in return for a cd somewhat
      undercuts the 'not-for-profit' claim.
      And wasn't there someone else a while back working on a
      Tolkienesque film?

      Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...> wrote:
      > Actually, the visuals in the trailer are quite impressive. As is
      > the music . . . Though I will say the clips from the soundtrack
      > sound *strikingly* like Howard Shore!

      It was pretty clear that their goal was to make their piece seem as
      much like Jackson as possible, right down to the sweep across snow-
      covered mountains. Hence, the Shore-like music (which I thought they
      did a better job on with the first clip than the second). I was
      impressed by how beautiful the natural settings were; someone in the
      project has a good eye for cinematography.

      David Bratman wrote:
      > Have you noticed how nearly all fan-art depictions of LOTR
      > characters now look like Jackson's actors, whether the artist meant
      > to depict them or not?

      No, I hadn't, but that very issue (film-inspired art) is being
      debated in the latest AMON HEN (#213).

      On Sep 24, 2008, at 11:20 AM, Steven Sams wrote:
      > Where would the bridge film material come from again? What stories?

      Presumably from the Appendices. I'm sure they'd love to use material
      from UNFINISHED TALES, but they'd have to negotiate a separate
      license from the Estate to do that (unlikely, I shd think).

      On Sep 24, 2008, at 11:25 AM, Michael Cunningham wrote:
      > Possibly they should have been mindful of the Damnatus outcome.

      Ouch!. I'd forgotten that one. Good example.

      On Sep 24, 2008, at 9:19 AM, ccampboyle wrote:
      > If you check their website more carefully, you'll see this is not
      > feature-length; it's a 30 minute short.

      I'd missed the detail of thirty minutes, but they do refer to it
      several times as a short, so it's definitely not a full-length movie.

      On Sep 24, 2008, at 9:33 AM, David Bratman wrote:
      > I'm sorry; my eyes glazed over from the clips. Concern for
      > continued personal health caused me to stop there.

      Sorry to hear it; get well soon.

      --John R.
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 24, 2008
        There's really no point in us discussing this. They're violating copyright
        law, but it's not our job to enforce the law. Somebody here notify the
        Tolkien estate about this website. The estate will decide how to proceed against
        these people. Our discussing this accomplishes nothing.

      • aveeris523@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 24, 2008
          If by the "bridge film" you mean the connection between The Hobbit and LOTR ,
          the essay "The Quest of Erebor" in Unfinished Tales might be a good start.
          Steve Gaddis

        • Michael Cunningham
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 25, 2008
            Not my intention to linger on this but...another fan film in production was highlighted to me: http://www.bornofhope.com/index.html

            They have a disclaimer, but that may be all it is. I suppose one may be looking towards a stated case being published if any legal action is taken to prevent future enterprises. As for me I think I'll just stick to music!

            Michael

            There's really no point in us discussing this. They're violating copyright
            law, but it's not our job to enforce the law. Somebody here notify the
            Tolkien estate about this website. The estate will decide how to proceed against
            these people. Our discussing this accomplishes nothing.

          • William Cloud Hicklin
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 25, 2008
              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, aveeris523@... wrote:

              > If by the "bridge film" you mean the connection between
              The Hobbit and LOTR ,
              > the essay "The Quest of Erebor" in Unfinished Tales might
              be a good start.
              > Steve Gaddis

              Except, Steve, New Line/Time Warner/Zaentz have *no* rights
              to Unfinished Tales, nor to any other Tolkien writings
              outside the covers of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.