Re: [mythsoc] Re: New LotR-based movie: The Hunt for Gollum

    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 24, 2008
      >From: Michael Cunningham <vargeisa@...> wrote:

      >The producers are aware of these concerns
      >re copyright but raised the issue of the 'fan film' which may inhabit its
      >own genre and as such not fall under the legal remit of a large scale,
      >widely distributed, money making enterprise.

      If they think this, they have mistaken "probably too small to be worth suing" for "legally immune from being sued." They are also fantastically kidding themselves if they don't realize that posting something on the open Web is not a synonym for "wide distribution."

      And you quote them:

      >We haven't heard
      >anything from The Tolkien Estate but I can't see that we pose them any
      >serious threat. Hopefully we're helping to keep Tolkien's work alive.

      This is amazingly arrogant. The Tolkien Estate and their legal licensees get to decide what's to be released to keep Tolkien's work alive. Fan film makers don't get to decide that.

      >The answer is that we are a non-commercial film club and
      >the project is entirely non-profit. We certainly do not intend to breach
      >legal copyright and if we were to sell the finished film or anything related
      >to it then this would indeed be illegal. However this project is non-profit
      >and any videos and media generated will always be available freely and
      >openly over the internet.

      This is so inaccurate it's not even funny. Disavowing any intention of making a profit is not a "break copyright free" card.

      >If the copyright owners are concerned, then legally speaking we plead that
      >we are only a bunch of Tolkien fans practicing our film-making skills and
      >documenting the results online.

      Doing whatever you like with Tolkien's characters privately, for your own amusement, is one thing. Documenting it online is quite another. If that's really their intent, they should make up their own Tolkienesque story and film that. If they didn't do that because nobody would watch it, that only proves how much they're piggybacking on Tolkien's fame. It might seen, or even be, silly to worry that this little film could harm Tolkien's reputation and future earnings, but again: they don't get to decide that.
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 24, 2008
        On Sep 23, 2008, at 4:58 AM, Ellen wrote:
        > My question is this: can the filmmakers get away with blatantly
        > using Tolkien's world and characters in a movie?

        Thanks for posting the link, Ellen. News to me that any such project
        was in the works, much less that it was nearing completion.
        As for whether they can get away with this, I wdn't bet on it.
        It's one thing to post a piece of fan fiction; the Estate might be
        willing to let that pass. But a film is something else, and Tolkien
        Enterprises is famous for bringing the hammer down on anything that
        poaches on their turf. Nor are major studios like New Line inclined
        to turn a blind eye to competition in any shape or form. I think
        they've probably taken the Lovecraft independent film phenomenon as a
        model, not taking into account that Lovecraft's work is out of
        copyright. Then too, the $30 donation in return for a cd somewhat
        undercuts the 'not-for-profit' claim.
        And wasn't there someone else a while back working on a
        Tolkienesque film?

        Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...> wrote:
        > Actually, the visuals in the trailer are quite impressive. As is
        > the music . . . Though I will say the clips from the soundtrack
        > sound *strikingly* like Howard Shore!

        It was pretty clear that their goal was to make their piece seem as
        much like Jackson as possible, right down to the sweep across snow-
        covered mountains. Hence, the Shore-like music (which I thought they
        did a better job on with the first clip than the second). I was
        impressed by how beautiful the natural settings were; someone in the
        project has a good eye for cinematography.

        David Bratman wrote:
        > Have you noticed how nearly all fan-art depictions of LOTR
        > characters now look like Jackson's actors, whether the artist meant
        > to depict them or not?

        No, I hadn't, but that very issue (film-inspired art) is being
        debated in the latest AMON HEN (#213).

        On Sep 24, 2008, at 11:20 AM, Steven Sams wrote:
        > Where would the bridge film material come from again? What stories?

        Presumably from the Appendices. I'm sure they'd love to use material
        from UNFINISHED TALES, but they'd have to negotiate a separate
        license from the Estate to do that (unlikely, I shd think).

        On Sep 24, 2008, at 11:25 AM, Michael Cunningham wrote:
        > Possibly they should have been mindful of the Damnatus outcome.

        Ouch!. I'd forgotten that one. Good example.

        On Sep 24, 2008, at 9:19 AM, ccampboyle wrote:
        > If you check their website more carefully, you'll see this is not
        > feature-length; it's a 30 minute short.

        I'd missed the detail of thirty minutes, but they do refer to it
        several times as a short, so it's definitely not a full-length movie.

        On Sep 24, 2008, at 9:33 AM, David Bratman wrote:
        > I'm sorry; my eyes glazed over from the clips. Concern for
        > continued personal health caused me to stop there.

        Sorry to hear it; get well soon.

        --John R.
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 24, 2008
          There's really no point in us discussing this. They're violating copyright
          law, but it's not our job to enforce the law. Somebody here notify the
          Tolkien estate about this website. The estate will decide how to proceed against
          these people. Our discussing this accomplishes nothing.

        • aveeris523@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 24, 2008
            If by the "bridge film" you mean the connection between The Hobbit and LOTR ,
            the essay "The Quest of Erebor" in Unfinished Tales might be a good start.
            Steve Gaddis

          • Michael Cunningham
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 25, 2008
              Not my intention to linger on this but...another fan film in production was highlighted to me: http://www.bornofhope.com/index.html

              They have a disclaimer, but that may be all it is. I suppose one may be looking towards a stated case being published if any legal action is taken to prevent future enterprises. As for me I think I'll just stick to music!

              Michael

              There's really no point in us discussing this. They're violating copyright
              law, but it's not our job to enforce the law. Somebody here notify the
              Tolkien estate about this website. The estate will decide how to proceed against
              these people. Our discussing this accomplishes nothing.

            • William Cloud Hicklin
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 25, 2008
                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, aveeris523@... wrote:

                > If by the "bridge film" you mean the connection between
                The Hobbit and LOTR ,
                > the essay "The Quest of Erebor" in Unfinished Tales might
                be a good start.
                > Steve Gaddis

                Except, Steve, New Line/Time Warner/Zaentz have *no* rights
                to Unfinished Tales, nor to any other Tolkien writings
                outside the covers of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.