Re: [mythsoc] Re: New LotR-based movie: The Hunt for Gollum

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 23, 2008
      David Bratman wrote:

      > Judging from the brief glimpses of acting we get, this film will consist of two hours of Aragorn wandering tediously through the
      > woods, looking as if he's about to say, "Be vewy quiet! I'm hunting wabbits!"

      Thanks for the chuckle, David. That was classic.

    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 23, 2008
        David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:

        > I hope it's better than that, though the misspelling of
        > "Eregion" on the map at the beginning of the second trailer
        > does not raise hopes. At least they spelled "Tolkien" correctly.

        Yes, I noticed that too. It fairly jumped off the map at me.
      • "Beregond, Anders Stenström"
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 23, 2008
          Jason Fisher wrote:

          > David Bratman <dbratman@...
          > <mailto:dbratman%40earthlink.net>> wrote:
          >
          > > I hope it's better than that, though the misspelling of
          > > "Eregion" on the map at the beginning of the second trailer
          > > does not raise hopes. At least they spelled "Tolkien" correctly.
          >
          > Yes, I noticed that too. It fairly jumped off the map at me.

          And south of Eregion, Tharbad has apparently been converted
          from a place to a region.

          Chivalrously,

          Beregond
        • ccampboyle
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 24, 2008
            (de-lurking)

            If you check their website more carefully, you'll see this is not
            feature-length; it's a 30 minute short.

            Cathy Boyle

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 24, 2008
              I'm sorry; my eyes glazed over from the clips. Concern for continued personal health caused me to stop there.

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 24, 2008
                I have been in touch with the two main producers of this project, primarily
                as a fan and because this independent has been receiving some very positive
                coverage in several genre-related magazines. Naively or otherwise I thought
                this to be a number of Tolkien aficionados with a cinematic and stage
                background (and therefore some knowledge of copyright issues) expressing
                their appreciation for the professor's works and, to a degree, Jackson's
                cinematic interpretation of such. The producers are aware of these concerns
                re copyright but raised the issue of the 'fan film' which may inhabit its
                own genre and as such not fall under the legal remit of a large scale,
                widely distributed, money making enterprise.

                It's certainly not going to win any Oscars (or praise, it seems) but in
                conversation with those involved the over-riding factor is that they are
                purely fans and the feature is a labour of love and affection for a masterly
                work that fires a creative spark in many of the folk who explore the world
                between its pages.

                I've pasted the response from the producers who sought to address the
                copyright issue.

                Michael

                -----
                I appreciate your editor's concern and he might be right. We haven't heard
                anything from The Tolkien Estate but I can't see that we pose them any
                serious threat. Hopefully we're helping to keep Tolkien's work alive. Anyway
                this is question we get asked a lot and it's very important to make clear
                that we feel there isn't a serious issue here. Let me explain why. The film
                is non-profit and we're just a bunch of Tolkien fans making this in our
                spare time as a labour of love. Here is an FAQ that explains more. It's also
                worth noting that since many Star Wars "fan films" have been made and widely
                publicised, the fan film has become recognised internationally as a genre in
                itself.

                How are you managing to make this with characters created by Tolkien when
                the intellectual property rights are held elsewhere?
                A very fair point. The answer is that we are a non-commercial film club and
                the project is entirely non-profit. We certainly do not intend to breach
                legal copyright and if we were to sell the finished film or anything related
                to it then this would indeed be illegal. However this project is non-profit
                and any videos and media generated will always be available freely and
                openly over the internet. Nobody is or ever will be profiting financially
                from this project. No products are being made or sold. The project is funded
                by the fans who are taking part in it, a group of individuals collaborating
                for fun. We're working on this project based on Lord of the Rings because we
                love the material and as a way to showcase our technical film making skills.
                If the copyright owners are concerned, then legally speaking we plead that
                we are only a bunch of Tolkien fans practicing our film-making skills and
                documenting the results online.

                ------------
              • Croft, Janet B.
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 24, 2008
                  Being a non-profit doesn’t automatically give you free reign to do as you please with other folks’ copyrighted material, which is how they appear to be approaching this project. However, it can have weight in a Four Factors of Fair Use analysis, which is what they should sit down and do before the Estate or Saul Zantz or New Line takes notice of them. They should at least become more familiar with the vocabulary of fair use, and not rely solely on being non-profit to protect themselves.

                  Janet Brennan Croft

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 24, 2008
                    Where would the bridge film material come from again? What stories?

                    Thanks,

                    Steven

                  • Michael Cunningham
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 24, 2008
                      Possibly they should have been mindful of the Damnatus outcome. Intellectual property issues are rarely black and white and may see this project slip into the Dead Marshes.

                      Michael

[...]

                      Checked by AVG.

                    • Sarah Beach
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 24, 2008
                        The problem with the filmmakers citing the STAR WARS fanfilms as
                        precedent is that Lucasfilm actually ALLOWS them to be made. Heck,
                        Lucasfilm even sponsors a Star Wars fanfic film (short) award at the
                        San Diego ComicCon each year. So it is NOT a good example of "Well,
                        if they can do it, so can we in this other property's playground."

                        Alas, I think the filmmakers, though they may be "pure-hearted", are
                        a bit naive about the possible ramifications.

                        I do hope that if something does get stirred up about it all, they
                        come through unscathed.

                        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Cunningham" <vargeisa@...>

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 24, 2008
                          >From: Michael Cunningham <vargeisa@...> wrote:

                          >The producers are aware of these concerns
                          >re copyright but raised the issue of the 'fan film' which may inhabit its
                          >own genre and as such not fall under the legal remit of a large scale,
                          >widely distributed, money making enterprise.

                          If they think this, they have mistaken "probably too small to be worth suing" for "legally immune from being sued." They are also fantastically kidding themselves if they don't realize that posting something on the open Web is not a synonym for "wide distribution."

                          And you quote them:

                          >We haven't heard
                          >anything from The Tolkien Estate but I can't see that we pose them any
                          >serious threat. Hopefully we're helping to keep Tolkien's work alive.

                          This is amazingly arrogant. The Tolkien Estate and their legal licensees get to decide what's to be released to keep Tolkien's work alive. Fan film makers don't get to decide that.

                          >The answer is that we are a non-commercial film club and
                          >the project is entirely non-profit. We certainly do not intend to breach
                          >legal copyright and if we were to sell the finished film or anything related
                          >to it then this would indeed be illegal. However this project is non-profit
                          >and any videos and media generated will always be available freely and
                          >openly over the internet.

                          This is so inaccurate it's not even funny. Disavowing any intention of making a profit is not a "break copyright free" card.

                          >If the copyright owners are concerned, then legally speaking we plead that
                          >we are only a bunch of Tolkien fans practicing our film-making skills and
                          >documenting the results online.

                          Doing whatever you like with Tolkien's characters privately, for your own amusement, is one thing. Documenting it online is quite another. If that's really their intent, they should make up their own Tolkienesque story and film that. If they didn't do that because nobody would watch it, that only proves how much they're piggybacking on Tolkien's fame. It might seen, or even be, silly to worry that this little film could harm Tolkien's reputation and future earnings, but again: they don't get to decide that.
                        • John D Rateliff
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 24, 2008
                            On Sep 23, 2008, at 4:58 AM, Ellen wrote:
                            > My question is this: can the filmmakers get away with blatantly
                            > using Tolkien's world and characters in a movie?

                            Thanks for posting the link, Ellen. News to me that any such project
                            was in the works, much less that it was nearing completion.
                            As for whether they can get away with this, I wdn't bet on it.
                            It's one thing to post a piece of fan fiction; the Estate might be
                            willing to let that pass. But a film is something else, and Tolkien
                            Enterprises is famous for bringing the hammer down on anything that
                            poaches on their turf. Nor are major studios like New Line inclined
                            to turn a blind eye to competition in any shape or form. I think
                            they've probably taken the Lovecraft independent film phenomenon as a
                            model, not taking into account that Lovecraft's work is out of
                            copyright. Then too, the $30 donation in return for a cd somewhat
                            undercuts the 'not-for-profit' claim.
                            And wasn't there someone else a while back working on a
                            Tolkienesque film?

                            Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...> wrote:
                            > Actually, the visuals in the trailer are quite impressive. As is
                            > the music . . . Though I will say the clips from the soundtrack
                            > sound *strikingly* like Howard Shore!

                            It was pretty clear that their goal was to make their piece seem as
                            much like Jackson as possible, right down to the sweep across snow-
                            covered mountains. Hence, the Shore-like music (which I thought they
                            did a better job on with the first clip than the second). I was
                            impressed by how beautiful the natural settings were; someone in the
                            project has a good eye for cinematography.

                            David Bratman wrote:
                            > Have you noticed how nearly all fan-art depictions of LOTR
                            > characters now look like Jackson's actors, whether the artist meant
                            > to depict them or not?

                            No, I hadn't, but that very issue (film-inspired art) is being
                            debated in the latest AMON HEN (#213).

                            On Sep 24, 2008, at 11:20 AM, Steven Sams wrote:
                            > Where would the bridge film material come from again? What stories?

                            Presumably from the Appendices. I'm sure they'd love to use material
                            from UNFINISHED TALES, but they'd have to negotiate a separate
                            license from the Estate to do that (unlikely, I shd think).

                            On Sep 24, 2008, at 11:25 AM, Michael Cunningham wrote:
                            > Possibly they should have been mindful of the Damnatus outcome.

                            Ouch!. I'd forgotten that one. Good example.

                            On Sep 24, 2008, at 9:19 AM, ccampboyle wrote:
                            > If you check their website more carefully, you'll see this is not
                            > feature-length; it's a 30 minute short.

                            I'd missed the detail of thirty minutes, but they do refer to it
                            several times as a short, so it's definitely not a full-length movie.

                            On Sep 24, 2008, at 9:33 AM, David Bratman wrote:
                            > I'm sorry; my eyes glazed over from the clips. Concern for
                            > continued personal health caused me to stop there.

                            Sorry to hear it; get well soon.

                            --John R.
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 24, 2008
                              There's really no point in us discussing this. They're violating copyright
                              law, but it's not our job to enforce the law. Somebody here notify the
                              Tolkien estate about this website. The estate will decide how to proceed against
                              these people. Our discussing this accomplishes nothing.

                            • aveeris523@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 24, 2008
                                If by the "bridge film" you mean the connection between The Hobbit and LOTR ,
                                the essay "The Quest of Erebor" in Unfinished Tales might be a good start.
                                Steve Gaddis

                              • Michael Cunningham
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 25, 2008
                                  Not my intention to linger on this but...another fan film in production was highlighted to me: http://www.bornofhope.com/index.html

                                  They have a disclaimer, but that may be all it is. I suppose one may be looking towards a stated case being published if any legal action is taken to prevent future enterprises. As for me I think I'll just stick to music!

                                  Michael

                                  There's really no point in us discussing this. They're violating copyright
                                  law, but it's not our job to enforce the law. Somebody here notify the
                                  Tolkien estate about this website. The estate will decide how to proceed against
                                  these people. Our discussing this accomplishes nothing.

                                • William Cloud Hicklin
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 25, 2008
                                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, aveeris523@... wrote:

                                    > If by the "bridge film" you mean the connection between
                                    The Hobbit and LOTR ,
                                    > the essay "The Quest of Erebor" in Unfinished Tales might
                                    be a good start.
                                    > Steve Gaddis

                                    Except, Steve, New Line/Time Warner/Zaentz have *no* rights
                                    to Unfinished Tales, nor to any other Tolkien writings
                                    outside the covers of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.