50th Anniversary Revisions to LOTR

  • Romuald Ian Lakowski
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 20, 2008
      I am in the process of ordering books for a 400-level seminar on
      J.R.R. Tolkien that I will be running next semester (Winter 2009:
      Jan-April) at my college in Edmonton, Canada.

      I would like to order editions of LOTR that include the revisions
      of the 50th Anniversary Edition. I would also like to order Scull
      and Hammond's immensely invaluable Reader's Guide. To my surprise
      I am finding it impossible to find editions that clearly indicate
      they incorporate the revisions of the 50th Edition.

      Unfortunately, the Harper Collins Canada website is currently
      down this fall for renovations. Amazon.ca lists three black cover
      editions for the parts of the Trilogy, but gives their publication
      dates as 1991. The same editions listed on www.Amazon.co.uk (at
      least they have the same isbn's) list the publication dates as
      2001. However, the Harper Collins UK website (www.fireandwater.com)
      lists the publication date of the Two Towers (I haven't checked
      the other two parts) as April 2007 -- with the same isbn as
      that given on Amazon.ca and Amazon.co.uk.

      Can anyone tell me whether Harper Collins has actually reset
      the black cover editions (and included the revisions of the
      50th edition) while retaining the same isbn or (however bizarre
      it may sound) taken the revised 50th annoversary edition out
      of print without providing other affordable editions (that
      incorporate the revisions) to replace it.

      I'll probably have to make the editions of LOTR optional since
      many students will already have their own copies or be able
      to get hold of copies cheaply from elsewhere. I'm trying very
      hard to keep the total cost of the book orders down to about
      $200CAD, which involves making some difficult choices.

      I'm assuming that most students will already have read LOTR,
      and want to introduce them to as much of the rest of Tolkien's
      opus as reasonably possible in the seminar.
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 21, 2008
        Romuald wrote:

        >I would like to order editions of LOTR that include the revisions
        >of the 50th Anniversary Edition. I would also like to order Scull
        >and Hammond's immensely invaluable Reader's Guide.

        By "Reader's Guide", do you mean the second volume of _The J.R.R. Tolkien
        Companion and Guide_, which is called _Reader's Guide_, or do you mean _The
        Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion_, annotations to _The Lord of the
        Rings_? If the latter, you'll want to prefer the 2008 trade paperback
        edition, which includes corrections and has a larger type size. The
        relevant page at Amazon Canada is
        http://www.amazon.ca/Lord-Rings-Readers-Companion/dp/0007270607/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222023096&sr=1-2
        (which I had a hard time finding as I was searching for "Reader's
        Companion" rather than "Readers Companion" -- Amazon leaves out the
        apostrophe, and this appears to be significant in searching).

        >To my surprise
        >I am finding it impossible to find editions that clearly indicate
        >they incorporate the revisions of the 50th Edition.
        >
        >Unfortunately, the Harper Collins Canada website is currently
        >down this fall for renovations. Amazon.ca lists three black cover
        >editions for the parts of the Trilogy, but gives their publication
        >dates as 1991. The same editions listed on www.Amazon.co.uk (at
        >least they have the same isbn's) list the publication dates as
        >2001. However, the Harper Collins UK website (www.fireandwater.com)
        >lists the publication date of the Two Towers (I haven't checked
        >the other two parts) as April 2007 -- with the same isbn as
        >that given on Amazon.ca and Amazon.co.uk.
        >
        >Can anyone tell me whether Harper Collins has actually reset
        >the black cover editions (and included the revisions of the
        >50th edition) while retaining the same isbn or (however bizarre
        >it may sound) taken the revised 50th annoversary edition out
        >of print without providing other affordable editions (that
        >incorporate the revisions) to replace it.

        The current black cover paperback _Lord of the Rings_ from HarperCollins is
        the 50th anniversary text, and also includes the expanded index. This is
        technically a reissue of the previous mass market paperback edition with
        white covers, now out of print, and which came out too early to have the
        new index: this edition is dated 2005, and its impression numbering was
        reset to "1". But the black cover mass market paperbacks are dated "1991,
        2007", have high impression numbers (68, 59, 65 in my and Christina's
        copies, based on who knows what), and have ISBNs which inexplicably
        reverted to those for the previous black cover edition (published in 2001),
        except that they're in the new 13-digit form and have new final check
        digits: 978-0-261-10235-4 (FR), 978-0-262-10236-1 (TT), 978-0-261-10237-8
        (RK), 978-0-261-10238-5 (boxed set). Entering the last of these ISBNs on
        Amazon.ca brings up a set (Geoff Taylor cover art) dated by Amazon to 1991,
        but which is dated in the books to 1999 -- this of course is not the 50th
        anniversary text.

        Another option for you might be to recommend, rather than the three-volume
        mass market paperback, the one-volume trade paperback. The one pictured at
        http://www.amazon.ca/Lord-Rings-J-R-R-Tolkien/dp/0261103253/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222007025&sr=1-4
        has the 50th anniversary text and the new index. It is also, I believe,
        less expensive than the three smaller volumes together, and has the
        advantage of using the pagination to which Christina and I made direct
        citation in the _Reader's Companion_ -- if you are indeed going to use that
        book. The three-volume black cover paperback has a different typesetting to
        suit the trim size, and since the page numbers shifted in the resetting,
        HarperCollins had to adjust the expanded index citations to suit -- badly
        messing up at least one index entry in the process.

        I hope this helps!

        Wayne Hammond

      • Romuald Ian Lakowski
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 21, 2008
          Thanks very much, Wayne, for your prompt and detailed
          response. I actually meant the Reader's Companion.

          It's very confusing the way Harper Collins keeps
          "recycling" its isbn's for new editions. I went
          into a local Canadian bookstore chain (Coles) and
          checked some copies of LOTR. The black cover
          edition was republished in 2007 and the verso of
          the Title Page clearly indicates it is based on the
          2004 50th Anniversary Edition.

          Thanks very much for pointing out that the 2007
          edition has been reset yet once again. I have
          a copy of the 1999 edition of the Fellowship
          which has the same isbn as the 1991 edition but
          is based on the reset hardcover edition of 1994.
          It ends on p.535, whereas the 2007 edition ends
          on p.531.

          Romuald Lakowski

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G. Hammond"