Re: Tolkien cartoon

  • hoytrand
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 18, 2008
      I think David Emerson's comment about posthumous works being clearly
      presented as original drafts and working papers intended for scholarly
      access is a very helpful clarification; David Bratman said something
      similar. I'm much more familiar with posthumous publications like *The
      Silmarillion* -- where the editor polishes up the work and presents it
      as the author's own -- than with publications like *The History of
      Middle-Earth* series. Is this something that is done often? Am I only
      less familiar with them because these don't usually exist in
      mass-market paperback versions?

      Thanks,
      ~randy
    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 18, 2008
        >...Secondly, because one of Tolkien's greatest virtues as an
        >author is the richness of his creation, and this enables the reader to watch
        >how it was made. This is what Guy Kay would rather we not see, but the
        >magnitude of the work Tolkien put into it, a whole dimension beyond a slice
        >of the inner history as we know it from LOTR, is itself a grand creation.

        I remember debating with myself, when THE BOOK OF LOST TALES came out, whether I wanted to read variant versions and spoil the view I had of THE SILMARILLION, which I considered to be canon. I'm glad I went ahead and read all of the HOME volumes, because as many have pointed out since then, JRRT's vision of his own legendarium is so complex that it really needs to be seen in all its different forms and versions to comprehend fully.

        All right, so maybe I could have skipped the early drafts of LORD OF THE RINGS, but then I would've missed the delicious tidbits like Frodo and Strider originally being Bingo and Trotter.

        emerdavid

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com