RE: [mythsoc] Help finding book: J.R.R. Tolkien and the art of sub-creation

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 18, 2008
      Jeremy -

      I'm glad you contacted them and had it pulled. When I looked it up in the UC online catalog, Melvyl, although it was listed as being on site at UCSC, I suspected it might really be only in long-term storage, because there was an additional listing for NRLF, which is the northern storage facility, and I've suspected that kind of double-listing means there's actually only one copy and the storage facility is where it is. Good to have that confirmed: tricks of the library trade.

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 22, 2008
        Hi David and all,

        just to close out the long dormant thread,  I did get to UCSC and see a copy of "J.R.R. Tolkien and the art of sub-creation".  They do actually have two copies, one in the Reference section and one off-site in their Special Collections repository, so the online catalog information is correct.

        David - you were correct as well, this is a student essay, with a "bibliography" of his collection at the back, so nothing interesting and certainly not deserving of the notoriety/fame it has from being listed in WorldCat, and thus appearing on Amazon.com as well.  I've posted a note to this affect on Amazon.com for the book, hopefully nipping in the bud any more requests from people wanting to find a copy of it.

        Jeremy

        I'm glad you contacted them and had it pulled. When I looked it up in the UC online catalog, Melvyl, although it was listed as being on site at UCSC, I suspected it might really be only in long-term storage, because there was an additional listing for NRLF, which is the northern storage facility, and I've suspected that kind of double-listing means there's actually only one copy and the storage facility is where it is. Good to have that confirmed: tricks of the library trade.

        >I can't agree with you more, David - I am fully expecting this to have little

        >to no scholarly value, but someone wants me to find a copy so it should be

        >useful to "close the book" on it at least. UCSC is being quite helpful

        >already, so I should have at least seen it in a few weeks (once they have

        >pulled it from long term storage.)

        >Thanks as well for the encouragement, John.

        >Jeremy

        >--- David Bratman <dbratman@earthlink. net> wrote:

        >> It's clearly not a book in any real sense of the word: it's an 11-page essay

        >> that some student wrote, evidently describing his Tolkien collection. I'd

        >> guess it's going to turn out to be a typed term paper in format. There are

        >> thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of such things about in the world dealing

        >> with Tolkien. You could try to track all of them down; the fact that this

        >> one happens to be listed in WorldCat shouldn't confuse you into thinking that

        >> means it's of more significance than any other.

        __