Tolkien cartoons

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 2008
      Well, I think people should just relax and let other people have
      their fun. I think that HME is wonderful, and even significant in
      ways that have application beyond Tolkien studies. But, I can also
      see another side. In some respects the whole enterprise is overdoing
      things to an absurd degree, and I think sometimes we need to laugh at
      ourselves. If you don't think the cartoons were funny, ignore them.
      I remember making some vaguely similar jokes, some years back. I
      think in some ways this kind of cartoon may actually remind some
      people that HME exists. Also, I didn't think these cartoons were
      especially harsh, maybe even affectionately teasing. And, although
      the books were originally published years back, readers are
      discovering them all the time, maybe including this cartoonist. As
      one of the television networks was advertising a few years ago, in a
      widely mocked phrase: "If you haven't seen it, it's new to you."

      David Lenander
      d-lena@... or david_lenander@...
      2095 Hamline Ave. N.
      Roseville, MN 55113
      651-292-8887 or 651-697-1807

    • Larry Swain
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 16, 2008

        > Well, I think people should just relax and let other people have
        > their fun. I think that HME is wonderful, and even significant in
        > ways that have application beyond Tolkien studies. But, I can also
        > see another side. In some respects the whole enterprise is overdoing
        > things to an absurd degree, and I think sometimes we need to laugh at
        > ourselves.

        The irony is that part of Tolkien's fiction is that he, the author, pretends to be a scholar of the Redbook of Westmarch offering us a translation of the same with notes and commentary at the end: i. e. doing in fiction what he did as a professional. Christopher Tolkien, a medieval scholar in his own right has essentially done the same thing: producing critical materials for the study of a work in pretty much the same fashion as his father and other medieval scholars produce a critical edition of classical and medieval works.

        Its kind of an obvious point, but one that I find both humorous and ironic.

        Larry Swain