ADMIN: List attachments

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2000
      >1. Please don't send attachments to the list. Some of us have older
      >computers and our machines crash when we receive too-large messages.
      >
      >2. E-groups apparently strips off attachments anyway, so it didn't come
      >through.

      As list administrator, I have very carefully set the list controls to "no
      attachments." There's been some discussion about that among the moderators;
      some lists use attachments regularly and others (such as I) strongly
      discourage them. But for now, eGroups allows the list moderators to
      determine whether or not attachments are allowed; I have determined not.

      However, the "no attachments" feature may or may not screen html code from
      messages. One can set one's _personal_ setting in eGroups to "text only"
      (which I have done for my personal setting), but it doesn't seem possible
      to do this for the entire list, so I place an no-html reminder on the list
      welcome and remind individuals off-list when I see occurrences.

      While I'm on the subject of list administration, there's a discussion
      currently going on as to whether the "ads" with the messages appear at the
      top or the bottom of the message. For now, we're getting ours at the
      bottom, but eGroups may or may not change this policy in the future,
      especially considering the forthcoming merger with Yahoo!

      If there are questions, feel free to e-mail me at any time.

      Joan
      List Administrator

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and