Were the lectures that formed The Four Loves actually withheld from broadcast?

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2008
      I'm discussing on a message board the claim that the (U.S.-based) Episcopal
      Radio-TV Board withheld broadcast of the lectures that they had recorded in
      1958 by C. S. Lewis titled Four Talks on Love (which were later remade into
      his book The Four Loves), supposedly because they were too explicit about
      sexual love. It's claimed that they told him, "Professor Lewis, I'm afraid you
      brought sex into your talks on Eros." Did this really happen? Did they really
      withhold broadcast? Did they limit the amount of broadcast so that it was
      only in some local regions but not nationally in the U.S.? Did they do the
      broadcast but never rebroadcast it? Did they give him a reason why they
      didn't broadcast (or broadcast heavily or rebroadcast) these lectures? Could
      someone tell me more specifically about this with some citations? I'm dubious
      about third-hand claims about this, since this sounds to me like someone's
      later guess about their reasons for not broadcasting (or broadcasting heavily or
      rebroadcasting) the lectures. Would anyone really say something as silly as
      "Professor Lewis, I'm afraid you brought sex into your talks on Eros"? That
      sounds like something someone would make up later to make fun of them.

      deal here.