Re: [mythsoc] Re: Galadriel throws down the walls of Dol Guldur

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 19, 2008
      Merlin DeTardo wrote:

      << << [Quoting Tolkien] Gandalf's and the Elves' "goetic effects are
      entirely artistic and not intended to deceive: they never deceive
      Elves (but may deceive or bewilder unaware Men) since the difference
      is to them as clear as the difference to us between fiction,
      painting, and sculpture, and 'life'."...
      The question that I have is: what is the "artistic" goetic effect of
      the Elves that Tolkien is referring to? >>

      My guess is something like what Tolkien decribes in App. A.I.v, which
      says that Aragorn, seeing Arwen for the first time:

      "halted amazed, thinking that he had strayed into a dream, or else
      that he had received the gift of the Elf-minstrels, who can make the
      things of which they sing appear before the eyes of those that
      listen. For Aragorn had been singing a part of the Lay of Luthien
      which tells of the meeting of Luthien and Beren in the forest of
      Neldoreth." >>

      Ah, good suggestion, Merlin!