Re: [mythsoc] Presentation.

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2008
      I suspect the 1867 date is just a typo, since we know from one of
      Tolkien's letters* that Fr. Francis, his foster-father, was the same
      age of JRRT's real father (Arthur Tolkien, b. 1857) and that he was
      77 when he died in 1934.
      I hope your biography of Fr. Francis finds a publisher (and
      translator). The information about his great-aunt is particularly
      interesting.
      Welcome to the list!
      --John R.

      *letter of JRRT to Michael T., 24 Jan.1972; LETTERS page 416

      On Aug 5, 2008, at 12:10 AM, juanitopanchacoco wrote:
      > Hi, I am new in the list. My name is Jose Manuel Ferrandez, and I
      > write from Spain.
      >
      > I have to inform you that I am a member of the Spanish Tolkien Society
      > and a couple of weeks ago I coordinated a meeting/symposium in Spain
      > with Adam Tolkien (and other Spanish panelists). There is a small
      > chronicle (in Spanish) in http://www.smialdemithlond.info/
      > ciclo072008.php
      >
      > Also, if Wayne Hammond read this message, there is a mistake in
      > Tolkien Companion – Readers Guide (2006) in the date of the birth of
      > Fr. Francis Morgan. He was born in 1857 and in the book the year is
      > 1867. I wrote him with this information some time ago, but maybe
      > "internet goblins" intercepted it.
      >
      > In fact I have written a biography of Fr. Francis (unfortunately still
      > unpublished) and I discovered many interesting facts (some related to
      > Tolkien). Also there are some curiosities in his life (not necessarily
      > linked to Tolkien) for instance he had a private audience with Pope
      > Leo XIII or his great-aunt was the most important Spanish female
      > writer in XIX century.
      >
      > Yours,
      > J.M. Ferrandez
      > jmferrandez @...
      >

      > Ps. I am also sad by Pauline Baynes' passing
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2008
        From: "Paola Castagno" <paolacastagno@...>

        >Hi, Jose Manuel. I am from Spain too.

        Lynn -- are you thinking what I'm thinking? Mythcon in Spain some year!
        Ole!

        the Bratwife
      • Lynn Maudlin
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2008
          Mole, even! (yum)

          I love Spain despite the fact that I was abandoned in Barcelona - it's
          a fabulous city! Never been to Madrid...

          I'm very glad to see worldwide participation on this list {{grin}}

          -- Lynn --