Re: [mythsoc] Presentation.

  • Paola Castagno
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5 1:46 AM
      Hi, Jose Manuel. I am from Spain too.

      It's nice to "see" someone else from my country here too. There are a lot of
      Tolkien scholars in Spain, and I think that it is a pity that our
      representation in list is so low. I am one of the members of the Spanish
      website devoted to J.R.R. Tolkien's life and work, www.elfenomeno.com (as
      you may probably know), and we are always interested in publishing any
      articles related to Tolkien in our language.

      Best regards, and welcome to this list :-)

      Paola Castagno.

      2008/8/5 juanitopanchacoco <juanitopanchacoco@...>

      > Hi, I am new in the list. My name is Jose Manuel Ferrandez, and I
      > write from Spain.
      >
      > I have to inform you that I am a member of the Spanish Tolkien Society
      > and a couple of weeks ago I coordinated a meeting/symposium in Spain
      > with Adam Tolkien (and other Spanish panelists). There is a small
      > chronicle (in Spanish) in http://www.smialdemithlond.info/ciclo072008.php
      >
      > Also, if Wayne Hammond read this message, there is a mistake in
      > Tolkien Companion � Readers Guide (2006) in the date of the birth of
      > Fr. Francis Morgan. He was born in 1857 and in the book the year is
      > 1867. I wrote him with this information some time ago, but maybe
      > "internet goblins" intercepted it.
      >
      > In fact I have written a biography of Fr. Francis (unfortunately still
      > unpublished) and I discovered many interesting facts (some related to
      > Tolkien). Also there are some curiosities in his life (not necessarily
      > linked to Tolkien) for instance he had a private audience with Pope
      > Leo XIII or his great-aunt was the most important Spanish female
      > writer in XIX century.
      >
      > Yours,
      > J.M. Ferrandez
      > jmferrandez @...
      >
      > Ps. I am also sad by Pauline Baynes' passing

    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5 12:06 PM
        I suspect the 1867 date is just a typo, since we know from one of
        Tolkien's letters* that Fr. Francis, his foster-father, was the same
        age of JRRT's real father (Arthur Tolkien, b. 1857) and that he was
        77 when he died in 1934.
        I hope your biography of Fr. Francis finds a publisher (and
        translator). The information about his great-aunt is particularly
        interesting.
        Welcome to the list!
        --John R.

        *letter of JRRT to Michael T., 24 Jan.1972; LETTERS page 416

        On Aug 5, 2008, at 12:10 AM, juanitopanchacoco wrote:
        > Hi, I am new in the list. My name is Jose Manuel Ferrandez, and I
        > write from Spain.
        >
        > I have to inform you that I am a member of the Spanish Tolkien Society
        > and a couple of weeks ago I coordinated a meeting/symposium in Spain
        > with Adam Tolkien (and other Spanish panelists). There is a small
        > chronicle (in Spanish) in http://www.smialdemithlond.info/
        > ciclo072008.php
        >
        > Also, if Wayne Hammond read this message, there is a mistake in
        > Tolkien Companion – Readers Guide (2006) in the date of the birth of
        > Fr. Francis Morgan. He was born in 1857 and in the book the year is
        > 1867. I wrote him with this information some time ago, but maybe
        > "internet goblins" intercepted it.
        >
        > In fact I have written a biography of Fr. Francis (unfortunately still
        > unpublished) and I discovered many interesting facts (some related to
        > Tolkien). Also there are some curiosities in his life (not necessarily
        > linked to Tolkien) for instance he had a private audience with Pope
        > Leo XIII or his great-aunt was the most important Spanish female
        > writer in XIX century.
        >
        > Yours,
        > J.M. Ferrandez
        > jmferrandez @...
        >

        > Ps. I am also sad by Pauline Baynes' passing
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5 6:18 PM
          From: "Paola Castagno" <paolacastagno@...>

          >Hi, Jose Manuel. I am from Spain too.

          Lynn -- are you thinking what I'm thinking? Mythcon in Spain some year!
          Ole!

          the Bratwife
        • Lynn Maudlin
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 6 2:26 PM
            Mole, even! (yum)

            I love Spain despite the fact that I was abandoned in Barcelona - it's
            a fabulous city! Never been to Madrid...

            I'm very glad to see worldwide participation on this list {{grin}}

            -- Lynn --