Presentation.

  • juanitopanchacoco
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2008
      Hi, I am new in the list. My name is Jose Manuel Ferrandez, and I
      write from Spain.

      I have to inform you that I am a member of the Spanish Tolkien Society
      and a couple of weeks ago I coordinated a meeting/symposium in Spain
      with Adam Tolkien (and other Spanish panelists). There is a small
      chronicle (in Spanish) in http://www.smialdemithlond.info/ciclo072008.php

      Also, if Wayne Hammond read this message, there is a mistake in
      Tolkien Companion – Readers Guide (2006) in the date of the birth of
      Fr. Francis Morgan. He was born in 1857 and in the book the year is
      1867. I wrote him with this information some time ago, but maybe
      "internet goblins" intercepted it.

      In fact I have written a biography of Fr. Francis (unfortunately still
      unpublished) and I discovered many interesting facts (some related to
      Tolkien). Also there are some curiosities in his life (not necessarily
      linked to Tolkien) for instance he had a private audience with Pope
      Leo XIII or his great-aunt was the most important Spanish female
      writer in XIX century.

      Yours,
      J.M. Ferrandez
      jmferrandez @...

      Ps. I am also sad by Pauline Baynes' passing
    • Paola Castagno
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2008
        Hi, Jose Manuel. I am from Spain too.

        It's nice to "see" someone else from my country here too. There are a lot of
        Tolkien scholars in Spain, and I think that it is a pity that our
        representation in list is so low. I am one of the members of the Spanish
        website devoted to J.R.R. Tolkien's life and work, www.elfenomeno.com (as
        you may probably know), and we are always interested in publishing any
        articles related to Tolkien in our language.

        Best regards, and welcome to this list :-)

        Paola Castagno.

        2008/8/5 juanitopanchacoco <juanitopanchacoco@...>

        > Hi, I am new in the list. My name is Jose Manuel Ferrandez, and I
        > write from Spain.
        >
        > I have to inform you that I am a member of the Spanish Tolkien Society
        > and a couple of weeks ago I coordinated a meeting/symposium in Spain
        > with Adam Tolkien (and other Spanish panelists). There is a small
        > chronicle (in Spanish) in http://www.smialdemithlond.info/ciclo072008.php
        >
        > Also, if Wayne Hammond read this message, there is a mistake in
        > Tolkien Companion � Readers Guide (2006) in the date of the birth of
        > Fr. Francis Morgan. He was born in 1857 and in the book the year is
        > 1867. I wrote him with this information some time ago, but maybe
        > "internet goblins" intercepted it.
        >
        > In fact I have written a biography of Fr. Francis (unfortunately still
        > unpublished) and I discovered many interesting facts (some related to
        > Tolkien). Also there are some curiosities in his life (not necessarily
        > linked to Tolkien) for instance he had a private audience with Pope
        > Leo XIII or his great-aunt was the most important Spanish female
        > writer in XIX century.
        >
        > Yours,
        > J.M. Ferrandez
        > jmferrandez @...
        >
        > Ps. I am also sad by Pauline Baynes' passing

      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2008
          Welcome to the list! And good luck with finding a publisher - it sounds like an interesting book.

          Janet Brennan Croft

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2008
            I suspect the 1867 date is just a typo, since we know from one of
            Tolkien's letters* that Fr. Francis, his foster-father, was the same
            age of JRRT's real father (Arthur Tolkien, b. 1857) and that he was
            77 when he died in 1934.
            I hope your biography of Fr. Francis finds a publisher (and
            translator). The information about his great-aunt is particularly
            interesting.
            Welcome to the list!
            --John R.

            *letter of JRRT to Michael T., 24 Jan.1972; LETTERS page 416

            On Aug 5, 2008, at 12:10 AM, juanitopanchacoco wrote:
            > Hi, I am new in the list. My name is Jose Manuel Ferrandez, and I
            > write from Spain.
            >
            > I have to inform you that I am a member of the Spanish Tolkien Society
            > and a couple of weeks ago I coordinated a meeting/symposium in Spain
            > with Adam Tolkien (and other Spanish panelists). There is a small
            > chronicle (in Spanish) in http://www.smialdemithlond.info/
            > ciclo072008.php
            >
            > Also, if Wayne Hammond read this message, there is a mistake in
            > Tolkien Companion – Readers Guide (2006) in the date of the birth of
            > Fr. Francis Morgan. He was born in 1857 and in the book the year is
            > 1867. I wrote him with this information some time ago, but maybe
            > "internet goblins" intercepted it.
            >
            > In fact I have written a biography of Fr. Francis (unfortunately still
            > unpublished) and I discovered many interesting facts (some related to
            > Tolkien). Also there are some curiosities in his life (not necessarily
            > linked to Tolkien) for instance he had a private audience with Pope
            > Leo XIII or his great-aunt was the most important Spanish female
            > writer in XIX century.
            >
            > Yours,
            > J.M. Ferrandez
            > jmferrandez @...
            >

            > Ps. I am also sad by Pauline Baynes' passing
          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2008
              From: "Paola Castagno" <paolacastagno@...>

              >Hi, Jose Manuel. I am from Spain too.

              Lynn -- are you thinking what I'm thinking? Mythcon in Spain some year!
              Ole!

              the Bratwife
            • Lynn Maudlin
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 6, 2008
                Mole, even! (yum)

                I love Spain despite the fact that I was abandoned in Barcelona - it's
                a fabulous city! Never been to Madrid...

                I'm very glad to see worldwide participation on this list {{grin}}

                -- Lynn --