Re: Tolkien's Gedling

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2008
      ---John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:
      << Here's another I found out about yesterday that was apparently
      published a few months ago without my hearing anything about it at
      the time: TOLKIEN'S GEDLING 1914 by Andrew Morton, a book about Aunt
      Jane's farm where Tolkien wrote the Earendel poem which, in
      retrospect, stands as the starting point of his mythology. Here's the
      link >>

      In addition to the two short reviews posted at amazon.co.uk, a longer
      response was posted a few weeks ago to the Reading Room forum at
      TheOneRing.net:

      http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?
      post=116568

      And Pieter Collier interviewed one of the authors in May at his
      Tolkien Library site:

      http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/830-
      Interview_with_Andrew_H_Morton_on_Tolkien_Gedling.php

      -Merlin DeTardo
    • ajkjr1
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 5, 2008
        I read this book a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some
        very nice insight into Tolkiens time in Gedling and with his aunt and
        some nice pictures that have probably never been seen.

        If you want t have some fun go to Google earth or and of the mapping
        programs and get a satelite view of that area. The church is still
        there as is part of the farm bt much of it has been developed.

        Nice short read!